Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 chevy TBI that is giving me fits and Im pulling my hair out with it. I took a 327 block and put my 350 heads on it so I could run the tbi on it. got it to running yesterday and it is popping back in the tbi and once it gets warmed up it will not idle and has not power cause when I mash on the gas it starts popping and cracking really bad, The 327 block was built for racing and I am having to run a 2000 stall in it, and suggestions on how to get the popping out and get it to idle wiuld be very much appreciated

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Set up for race meaning? What are the mods done? cam size? compression ratio? If the 327 has high compression, a sizeable cam and other mods you can`t just bolt a stock TBI to it and expect it to run correctly. The TBI system can learn to compensate for some performance changes but that band is very narrow. By the way it runs it sounds like you have some plug wires mixed, that or the fuel mixture is so lean it`s forcing it to pop.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
The only way you can adjust it is to install a adjustable fuel regulator with vacuum compensator. You didn`t answer my question so I`ll ask again, what mods are done to the 327? what`s the compression ratio? what`s the cam size? what heads?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another friend of mine built the 327 and he put it in his garage then he gave it to me it is a standard bore and he told me the cam was a green line came but i put a stall in anyhow even though with a green line it is right on the boarder for a stall as far as the ratio I dont know I do not have any off my tools no longer to check that but the compression is 175 ponds on all cylinders and the heads are stock 350 heads that I had to put on it to be able to run the tbi but I am starting to think I will be better off to put the 327 heads back on the engne and pull the fule pump out of the tank and run a carb

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
Almost any change to a TBI motor will require a custom chip to be burned. Certainly reducing cubes to 327 and a race cam are way beyond what a stock TBI can compensate for.

Small engine, big cam, massively different VE parameters, tiny head ports, small TBI flow... its a mismatch to say the least. I'm actually surprised it runs at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok what i am thinking bout doing is taking and putting the 327 heads back on and intake and rumming a card with a vaccum advance dist and running all manual guages and taking the pump out of the tank and putting a manual pump on the motor

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
Ok... you might find that the motor doesn't have the hole drilled for a mechanical pump. If that's the case just buy a regulator to step down the pressure and use the factory electric pump.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Put a length of pipe where the the pump is now.It has to be the same length as the pump. Make up a screen out of some mesh like on a coffee filter. It doesn,t have to be fancy. Rubber gas line will get you from the braided (existing) line to the mechanical pump. You can get a pump with a return line and use the existing braided line or not.If you plug the return line you may have to drill a small hole in the gas cap.
Clint

·
World Famous VF-14
468 Posts
Did you use the 350 tbi heads? If so you wasted your time, they are only good for door stops, If you have a good set of 327 heads with assy holes , you are better off reinstalling them and getting a custom burned from a place like TBIchips.com he has good experience dealing with strange TBI setups.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.