Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI;Have access to one of these engines.Thinking of using it to build a street rod but not up on this Injection bit.Three things is this the same as a Chev small block?It had a 5 spd ,now gone any major problem to putting a 700R4 on it?I understand you can buy the kit to operate the electronics thru some of the street rod outfits or can I try to remove the components from the car along with the engine?Thanks for any hints you can offer!!

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
TPI in a Street Rd - Good Choice!

1. SBC - Yes

2. 700R4 - No problem, just need a flexplate for a one piece rear main seal and a computer chip that will control the lock-up function (if applicable). Considering it is a stock TPI throttle body, you can get a bracket (if the current bracket won't accommodate the TV cable) and a TV cable from another donor car (junk yard); or just buy new from one of the sources listed below.

3. You could use the original donor car harness and computer, but I would opt for a new harness and computer. Especially considering that it will be going into a street rod, I would get a new harness and computer package from someone like Street & Performance or Howell Engine Development. By getting a new computer, you have some options to the style. If you want to avoid penetrating the firewall, you can get a package that includes a water-resistant computer that can be mounted in the engine bay.

If space is a constraint, I would consider converting it from a mass air flow sensor (MAF) system to a speed-density (MAP) system. This would definitely require a new chip, but if you get a package deal, this would not be a problem. Both sources mentioned above can give you guidence on converting the system from MAF to MAP.

Best of luck with your project, Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
If you are ever going to convert from MAF to MAP now is the time to do it. Like edge said, consider the space and whether you want the MAF sensor and ducting or would you rather just slap a nice airfilter on the end of the TB. There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems however performance the changes are minimal.

Yes it is a SBC however I think by that time they had moved the dip stick to the passenger side (not a big deal lol just something to keep in mind if its a tight compartment).

Will this be a performance oriented streed rod? If so you are going to have to do some major work to get that thing moving (stock hp was something like 205). However since its a 305 I am guessing you are doing it more for cruising.

Edge pretty much nailed all the info you need about your questions so I really dont have anything to add.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi;Thanks for the info,All sounds to complicated as look in some of those catalogs etc.Havven't done a swap since the 60s and those engines were somewhat different.HJave a 47 Lincoln with a 51 merc that I can understand.The 305 is a wrecked 98 Formula 400 that a friend is junking out for parts and doesn't want the engine,Sometimes free isn't cheap either!!Says 305 F.I. on the hood!DIdn't have any big plans for it just thinking of ideas.More interesed in economy than speed now days.My drag race days ended in the 60s.Just sold my street rod and looking for something different but I know that best thing is buy one done so can enjoy it now.Wife says should no longer be starting long term projects!Thanks for the replies!!Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts