Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought am 89, z28 hotrod today for a grand. the engine seems ok but has a ticking lifter and blows a little blue smoke. i test drove it and it was missing (old gas? it sat for many months) but one time, it hooked up and started breaking the tires loose so i figure that the motor is basically good. it shifts ok. and stops but it's definitely been hotrodded. gotta get it home then i'll start fiddling... maybe i'll get a nice 383 stroker surprise! but it has the coveted 16" rims, nice exhaust with an electronic dump, edlebrock carb, alum manifold and a solid body so i'm sure i could part this thing out and get my $1K back if all else fails. does anyone have any suggestions on how to ID this engine and the heads? or tell if it has a 400 crank? it dug in pretty good when it started firing on all cylinders.

Attachments

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
i bought am 89, z28 hotrod today for a grand. the engine seems ok but has a ticking lifter and blows a little blue smoke. i test drove it and it was missing (old gas? it sat for many months) but one time, it hooked up and started breaking the tires loose so i figure that the motor is basically good. it shifts ok. and stops but it's definitely been hotrodded. gotta get it home then i'll start fiddling... maybe i'll get a nice 383 stroker surprise! but it has the coveted 16" rims, nice exhaust with an electronic dump, edlebrock carb, alum manifold and a solid body so i'm sure i could part this thing out and get my $1K back if all else fails. does anyone have any suggestions on how to ID this engine and the heads? or tell if it has a 400 crank? it dug in pretty good when it started firing on all cylinders.
"dug in pretty good doesn't mean much of anything, I've had 4 cylinders that "dug in pretty good". To identify your heads pop the valve cover off and get the casting number off the heads, that's easy enough. To identify the crank you can try measuring through a spark plug hole or seeing if your local track has a "whistler". You should also check the block casting numbers as it could be a 305. BTW, there's nothing wrong with a 305, its just not as nice as a 350.

Since it sat a while I'd change the oil and throw a bottle of MMO in the crank case, then throw a can of sea foam in the gas tank. Doing those two simple things will help freshen it up a lot from sitting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by 'dug in good' i mean started spinning the tires and lifting up. i still don't have it home but should by this weekend and will know more when i start digging into it. thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.