Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 31 Ford 5 window coupe with a Ford 9.0 inch small ford rear end with axle bearings with the O-ring seals. I have had issues with the rear end fluid leaking by the axle bearing O-ring seals. I have bought the replacement bearings that have the O-rings but would like to know if you could also use a conventional seal to help eliminate any possible leaking.

Appreciate any information anyone has.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
stock Ford housings had a inner seal that rifles on the axle inboard of the bearing and on a slightly smaller diameter. Many after market axles and housings don't have those provisions. There are 3 or maybe 4 differing outer diameters for the inner seal depending on the original application. I think the current ball bearings like the RW207 are not compatible with constant exposure to gear oil as I see them leaking alot.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I had the same problem and here's how I fixed it. When installing the bearings I coated the entire surface (O ring included) with Right Stuff and as quickly as possible assembled everything and got it on the ground. I let it set overnight and never had the leaks come back. Trick is to get the weight on the bearings before the sealant sets up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stock Ford housings had a inner seal that rifles on the axle inboard of the bearing and on a slightly smaller diameter. Many after market axles and housings don't have those provisions. There are 3 or maybe 4 differing outer diameters for the inner seal depending on the original application. I think the current ball bearings like the RW207 are not compatible with constant exposure to gear oil as I see them leaking alot.
thanks I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same problem and here's how I fixed it. When installing the bearings I coated the entire surface (O ring included) with Right Stuff and as quickly as possible assembled everything and got it on the ground. I let it set overnight and never had the leaks come back. Trick is to get the weight on the bearings before the sealant sets up.
Thanks, I had someone else just recommend the same solution. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Caution: I did this myself and messed up. I put some RTV in the housing and when pushing the bearing in it piled up and got on the inner seal of the bearing. When it was driven the RTV pulled the inner seal from the inner race and started leaking right away.

I suggest a non-hardening sealer, or if using rtv put it on the OD of the bearing and then push it in the housing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts