Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm installing a ford 9" rearend in my 48 chev frame. I over looked the fact that the stock rearend was set back 2" from the center pin. I was wondering if there is any offset lowering blocks out on the market.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
547 Posts
Another alternative is check with Eaton spring or Posies, they can make you springs with an offset center bolt and you can get a lower and better ride, :cool:

G

·
0 Posts
HI Fat48chev,
Nice to see other 48's being built. I am just begining to work on mine. I have a 2 dr. Fleetline Aerosedan. I would like to know about the ford 9" final drive. How do you determine which one is a nine incher? Next question, I just traded a 92' cougar in on a F-150 and I love the ride the mercury had with the independent rear suspension. Will that differential fit the frame of the 48' Bow Tie. I have no idea if that was a 9" or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

Just wanted to say that I am building a 1948 2dr fleetline aerosedan myself. I am doing a frame swap. I traded a 79 camaro for a 89 chevy s10, and I am now in the process of stripping the s10. The 48 is already stripped entirely. I'm about to get into the nitty-gritty of this project, but there is alot of information available about this in this message board titled "1948 chevy on 1989 chevy s10 frame". I too am happy to see more 48's being restored. We dont have many at all here in south florida. Good luck guys.
Richard :p

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Great '48 BowTie,

This link should answer most of your questions about the 9" Ford rearend.

<a href="http://dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/9inchrearends.htm" target="_blank">http://dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/9inchrearends.htm</a>

The rear in your Cougar was not a 9" by the way. And the ride had little to do with the rear axle and everything to do with the springs and shocks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I am building a 48 Aero as well, you all got any pics of yours you can post on here, would be great to see how you are doing.

L8R,
Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts