Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a street rod with a 9 Inch for rear... its all painted up and pretty, but unfortunately its an open differential without posi (or whatever non-Chevy guys call it) Can a posi carrier be bolted into this rear without a major hassle? Do all the axles, etc. still work? Can I use the same 3.00 gearset? And lastly, where's a good source for rebuilt posi units? I'm not too experienced with Ford rears, but am hoping its an easy change to make... pegleg burnouts aint cool. :p

·
Registered
4,259 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Putting a limited slip carrier in a 9" is a relatively easy undertaking. You can buy a third member already set up or you can just put your ring gear on a different carrier. You will need to match the carrier to the axles, as in 28 or 31 spline. 31 spline trac-loc carriers are much easier to come by than 28's.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,648 Posts
Or you can buy a Powertrax locker that will bolt into what you already have. Either way on the 9", the carrier will need to come out, which will involve some specific knowledge and possibly some expensive tools for resetting it...

Russ

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
302/Z28 said:
The Powertrax unit is not your typical locker. It is very servicable for street use.

Vince
That is debatable, of course.

Lot's of people.... ahem.... have pushed the front end off the road when turning in the rain, etc.... even on a highway curve you have to get off the gas ....or else.... no steady power allowed in a turn or it won't unlock.

JMO

1 - 7 of 7 Posts