Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a ford 9 inch that i got out of a 68 merc wagon wdc-cj 2.75 8fb 119 can i pull the third member out of it and replace with any third member that has the same spline count.i want to replace these 2.75 gears with somthing like 3.55.whats the cheapest way to do this??

·
Registered
185 Posts
9 inch

All the 9 inch chunks interchange or fit in the housing. You probably have 28 splines so look for an old truck : everyone Ive come across has had a 350 gear and about 1 of every 12 or so a posi . Look for a rear that tapers at the axle ends : they usually have 28. The rears that have axle housings even all the way out usually are 31 .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info it realy helps.i was at the junk yard today and found a whole bunch of 9 inch rear ends but didnt know what to look for exept the tag on the back and found lots of 3.55 rear.is there a way to find a posi rear by looking at it all i know is by the tag that should say 3L55,if i spin one tire should the othe side spin the same way?becouse they all spin the other way

·
Registered
185 Posts
Both wheels have to turn the same way. I usuallt find a piece of something on the ground a stick or piece of metal. Slide it through the lug studs , go to the other side , turn the axle , see which way it turns or wont turn. the L between the 355 means locker or posi. ( 3 L 55 ) Just because the tag says that doesnt prove it . Keep looking : it might be 10 or 15 down the line or you might find two in a row. Also check stationwagons, Rancheros. You can use the disc brakes off of the old Lincolns : 70s , they come in medium and large bearing .,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts