Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to choose a new posi for a 9" Ford. There are a few choices and I am not familiar with any of them. (My experience with positraction is a spool.) There is the Trac-Loc clutch style. The Eaton True-Trac, a gear style, and I discovered one I didn't know existed. The Richmond Power Trak Grip Pro which is also a gear style. And then there is of course the Detroit locker. What are the differences in performance?
I'm not sure if I want to mess with the maintenance requirements of the clutch type Trac-Loc, but this seems to be the cheapest posi unit. Do they really require much maintenance?
I don't think a locker is indicated here.
So the choice comes down to Trac-Loc or True Trak.
Of course budget is always a consideration, but I don't want to buy the cheapest unit and find out I made a mistake.
What are you guys experiences with any of these posi's?
I just want 2 black marks.
Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
What housing are you playing with?
Tru trac is a nice choice as a daily for a small 9.
But if I had a large bearing 31 or 35 spline unit then I would just run a spool and accept the bit of scrub.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What housing are you playing with?
Tru trac is a nice choice as a daily for a small 9.
But if I had a large bearing 31 or 35 spline unit then I would just run a spool and accept the bit of scrub.
I have a spool in the quickchange in my '27 roadster. It works way better than all the "you can't run a spool on the street guys" say it will. In a real tight parking lot turn I can feel the axles wrapping up and hear one tire or the other chirping. But it is really no bother. I wondered the whole time I was building it if it would want to push the front end around, and I would have to put a diff in it. But no. I have 20K miles on that QC with a spool in my roadster. Yep, you can't run a spool on the street. ;) ;) But that car is a whole different animal. I want a posi in this one.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
When I had my rear end shop I put a few spools in street cars for customers, and then they started coming back with broken axles, cracked wheels and broken axle studs. I stopped installing spools in street cars after that. I was worried that someone was going to get hurt.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I consider spools on the Street to be dangerous for most people---driving in the rain in a sweeping 40 mph curve can cause sudden loss of control.
Well as that car is a roadster, I avoid the rain like the plague, but I have been caught a couple of times. With cheater slicks and the spool, of course in the wet you have to drive it on tip toes, but it is not the end of the world. The rooster tails are the real problem.
Besides, I have a lot of experience driving cars sideways!

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Well as that car is a roadster, I avoid the rain like the plague, but I have been caught a couple of times. With cheater slicks and the spool, of course in the wet you have to drive it on tip toes, but it is not the end of the world. The rooster tails are the real problem.
Besides, I have a lot of experience driving cars sideways!
Its a jungle out there, and most of the inhabitants are not at the top of the food chain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.