Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 9" rear end with disc brakes that my dad pulled out of a 81 Lincoln Versailles a while ago. Does anyone know if I could swap out the stock rear end of my 65 Mustang for the Versailles one?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
rear end

I don't know about the 81 but if it is the same as the earlier one it's almost a bolt in swap . the u bolts are larger and e brake cables different... drive shaft mounting but a lot of the old mustang magazines covered how to do it. Most of the versailles had gear ratios for freeway cruizing but the 9's are easy to change. be sure the rear end is complete since some parts are no longer available. the stock Ford design sliding calipers tend to wear off one side of the rotor. also the granada-monarch versailles front disc's aare a bolt on. I have seen a how to on the ford fairlane web about using late mustang gt calipers. looked like an easy swap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've got a '77 Lincoln Versailles 9" that I am putting in a Chevy C10 and although I found all the parts I needed at NAPA they were pricey. Save your calipers they'll give you $70 a piece for them. It is a 5 on 5 bolt pattern so you might want to look into different axles because the front would be different on the 'stang. The rotors come left and right so make sure you get the right ones if you need them.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
lincoln versailles

I had 3 of the early versailles or -optional mercury monarch 9 " disc rear ends and they were the 5 on 4.5 lug pattern ...I've had a couple of the biger lincoln and mark rear ends and they were 5 on 5 pattern .. the a big lincoln rears are bigger, wider, and not much will interchange and I think they were called a 9 3/8 rear

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes mine is 63" to the end of the axle tubes. not sure how wide your mustang is but the 28 tooth spline axles cannot be narrowed in mine, there is a recess in the axle. Make sure you don't have to narrow if this is the case for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.