Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'M PUTTING A 1990 CAMARO 350 TPI IN MY 48 CHEVY 3100 . IT HAS A MILD CAM AND HEADERS . WAS WONDERING IF AND HOW TO ELIMINATE EGR. THE INTAKE AND TOP OF PISTONS WAS CARBONED UP REALLY BAD. ENGINE ONLY HAS 16,000 MILES ON. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well I know a little bit about this system and soon will be learning more, but here is what I know.

the 90 system is run or controlled by OBD1 system and the number of people able to tune this system is decreasing. There is a guy (Solomon) at LT1 Tuning who still mess’s with them.
Anyways there is a way he can turn off the EGR and the programming, I am working on a 95 Chevy truck this winter still running OBD 1 and he has made my first chip, I have since found a guy in Michigan with a chassis dyno, that works with OBD 1, I plan to have him do final tune.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
Moving to Fuel Injection Engine forum... Introduction forum is not for tech questions.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Two ways to go...first is to use OEM stuff with aOEM harness (or aftermarket supplier) OEM ECU with reprogrammed chip. Second is use aftermarket electronics to run the tuned port. This is a simple batch fire with a dizzy and can easily be run by a Megasquirt. With a Megasquirt unit you can tune it yourself but as mentioned above OBD1 stuff is hard to find anymore. Cost should be about the same.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I was looking a few things up and found this web site and tech article you might want to read, is it worth removing your EGR?

That is the hard way for sure unless you have someone local to tune it.

An MS2 with a relay board is stupid simple as compared to mail order tunes or hoping the one guy around that tune it is available. As 39master indicated, you can tune it yourself. The biggest butt ache is making a harness or adapting a factory harness.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,313 Posts
You'll have to physically block the passage and have someone burn you a custom chip to ignore the EGR system.

Are you getting rid of the EGR because you found carbon on the pistons? That's not EGR's fault. The carbon comes from years of burning fuel and traces of oil. Could have been made worse by an O2 sensor out of whack or leaking injectors, but EGR doesn't cause carbon build-up in the cylinders.

EGR is only active during part-throttle cruise. It doesn't affect power. It reduces NOx emissions and saves 1-2 mpg. Don't remove an EGR system because there is carbon. It won't help.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
The reason no one tunes TPI is because it was a bad setup out the gate.

You have much better options to get a air fuel mixture into that engine. If you want fuel injection then your going to need to tune it somehow. You can batch it off a MS1 and be way ahead from any band aid universal 90's chip fix.

Or you can run a performance tbi unit. There are several that will work with that shortblock.

Or you can just say screw messing with this headache of a pile of junk TPI and squish the spider running a $500 LS off of 6 wires and a $100 vats/egr removal.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
The reason no one tunes TPI is because it was a bad setup out the gate.

You have much better options to get a air fuel mixture into that engine.

Or you can run a performance tbi unit. .

Or you can just say screw messing with this headache of a pile of junk TPI and squish the spider running a $500 LS off of 6 wires and a $100 vats/egr removal.
Wow is that some misinformation. What Gen 1 SBC with EGR had more torque and fuel economy than a TPI? The reason the answer is none is because it was the best designed intake system for bottom end torque and fuel economy GM ever made for a Gen1 SBC.

There is no TBI system that will outperform a multiport setup for anything if the both systems can flow the same amount of air.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.