Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Anything with a throttle
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...
I am working on a 91 Chevy Caprice 9C1 police car package. There is a pretty loud protest from the rear of the car when moving down the road. It is not the brakes! A grinding sound. Could be differential~could be axle bearing. At coast the noise is still there, but with the brakes applied the noise goes away...??
Anyone...anyone...?? I believe it's a positraction rear since it is a verified police package car. If the differential is bad could anyone tell me the parts to buy to rebuild or do they sell cheaper units already together?
Thanks much...
Jeff

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Gm and new Ford rears don't have inner races in the wheel bearings. The bearings run right on the axle shaft.

Rear wheel bearings have worn a groove into the rear axle and the shift in angle is causing the axle drive gears/spider gears to make noise. Not uncommon. Install offset rear wheel bearings, or new stock bearings and new axles.

I have never had trouble with the offset bearings in my G body.

If the gears have worn enough, the noise won't get much better since there is a mis-clearance in the meshing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.