Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy,
I have a 1991 corvette convert, It is completely stock. 350 motor,automatic trans,DIGITAL CLUSTER (stock). My problem is the cluster only reads part of the read-outs (the 7 looks like I ..the 8 looks like upside-down u , the fuel gage shows only aprox, 1/2 of the increments lit ect...) the analog parts of the cluster work fine though. Do I need to replace the cluster ?
Do I look for bad ground? looking for assistance.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Check the grounds first, Ground in a Corvette is premium ..

Then pull the Cluster plug carefully, Burnish both the male and female sides of the plug. Inspect the plug for loose and / or burnt or bent pins.

If that checks OK, you'll have to Continuity check the harness from the cluster to the terminations within the vehicle (computer and field sensors) for bad wires/ connections.

If that is good, Check the auto dimmer circuit.

If it still won't work properly, most likely the LCD display has gone south on you. and portions of the display array no longer will charge. In that case, you will have to replace the HUD/DCT display.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
czmpjx

thanks for the good info. will try & let you know,( this is a great help!!!) :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fixed???

Did you fix your cluster problem? My 91 has the same problem. I read in a thread that you change the bulbs in the instrunment cluster. Kinda tedious, but it is supposed to be possible. Much cheaper then changing it out. I have a new one and haven't installed it yet. Once I do i am going to change the bulbs and see what happens. Then I will go with Docs advice, (Probably before I change it) and then change the bulbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You got it

There you have it. Thanks for the post on the gauges(links). I knew someone could find them faster then my chicken peckin at the keyboard. Thank you again. great post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts