Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Master cylinder was not the problem, changed it out an still nothing. Lines are not clogged, pads still have material, really stupified.

There has got to be something else like maybe the bridge after the cylinder that is bad.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Master Cylinder

Make sure that the rear brakes are adjusted up snug, then open all 4 bleeders and gravity bleed the system. Take the cap off the master cylinder and watch the fluid level untill it goes down low and fill it up again, do this about 3 times without touching the brake pedal. Look on the equalizer block(bridge you are refering to) and see if it has a black cap on it which is a reset switch.If it does just push it in.(sorry the way I worded this, but do this First)
This should take care of the problem. With plenty of pad life, shoe life, properly adjusted rear brakes, and no leaks there should be nothing else. The ABS controller will not cause the problem, it is designed to function allowing fluid flow even if it is bad.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's not the equalizer as I guess it is called, there is no button on it, I took the hose off the left front brake and there was no fluid except a few drops, I pumped the brake a few times to see what happens and it makes a girgiling noise abd only a few drops come out. Same if I disconnect the lines from the master cylinder(new and old one) same thing, it just drips out. The master cylinder does not lose any fluid when pumped, only a few drops. As this is with both the new and old one, same result.

Could this be a bad booster behind the master cylinder?

Thanks.

EDIT: Did'nt find what was wrong, but after about 2 mins of pumping the brake pedal, fluid start squirting out of the master cylinder so I hooked everything back up and sure enough fluid comes out the broke hoses now. Got everything hooked up, and when i went to bleed the drivers caliper, I discovered the broken bleeder nipplie. The previous owner had ripped off the end of it, I guess from over torquing everything. He(or she) even managed to strip the head off of the caliper bolt and now I cant even get the bolt out with all my weight on it. Had to take the whole caliper off and order a replacement. $124. mad as hell at the moment.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Master cylinder

Glad you go it going, sorry about the caliper. But when you get the new caliper remember to gravity bleed the system. It works great and saves you from wearing your leg out. If your master cylinder has 2 bleeders on it start at it first before you open all 4 bleeders. Open them and let the fluid flow untill it is a steady stream and no bubbles. Just remember not to let the master cylinder get to low so you do not have to repeat the process.
You've got it made now. Get back if you have any problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.