Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok not exactly the most desired Mopar out there. I have a customer who installed a new head on his 2.5 turbo and now when he pushes the clutch in the engine runs so rough it won't stay running. It runs fine until you push in the clutch.Timing was aligned with the pins/dowels as required. He did not replace the metal plate from the trans to the block. Bolted it straight up. Is there anyone who has had this problem? He doesn't have a computer and I am trying to help, he is a good customer and I would hate to see him pull the engine for the spacer if is not needed. I am not familiar enough with this engine. Any help would be appreciated. Jerry

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
classicautoresto said:
Ok not exactly the most desired Mopar out there. I have a customer who installed a new head on his 2.5 turbo and now when he pushes the clutch in the engine runs so rough it won't stay running. It runs fine until you push in the clutch.Timing was aligned with the pins/dowels as required. He did not replace the metal plate from the trans to the block. Bolted it straight up. Is there anyone who has had this problem? He doesn't have a computer and I am trying to help, he is a good customer and I would hate to see him pull the engine for the spacer if is not needed. I am not familiar enough with this engine. Any help would be appreciated. Jerry
Are you sure this is a 2.5L, and not the 2.2L?

With the 2.2L, what you are explaining would make sense. This engine uses a cam, and crank sensor, where the 2.5L does not. The crank sensor is located in the bell housing, below the throttle body. With the plate not installed between the engine, and bell-housing, it will push the crankshaft too far forward jamming the thrust washers. It also throws the crank sensor out of alignment with the trigger wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
carsavvycook said:
Are you sure this is a 2.5L, and not the 2.2L?

With the 2.2L, what you are explaining would make sense. This engine uses a cam, and crank sensor, where the 2.5L does not. The crank sensor is located in the bell housing, below the throttle body. With the plate not installed between the engine, and bell-housing, it will push the crankshaft too far forward jamming the thrust washers. It also throws the crank sensor out of alignment with the trigger wheel.
Thank you, I can only go off of what he told me that it was a 2.5, could very well be a 2.2, I haven't seen the car. I have restored several older cars for him, but this is a daily driver. I'll let him know he can look forward to pulling the engine today, and do it right. :pain: Thanks again!!! Jerry

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
If the car has a pilot bushing a worn one will cause an out of balance condition when the clutch is pushed in. I've never pulled one of them apart so I don't know if they have a pilot bushing/bearing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.