Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 single cab Chevy silverado with a crate 350 (TBI) and a 5 speed transmission, but my rev limiter is only at 3600! Why? What do I need to do to get it higher? The motor is a new crate 350 with about 50,000 miles, the transmission is from a pull apart so the motor and tranny did not come stock with this truck. I've seen trucks like mine, rev limit at 5 grand. I just want mine to be up there! So what should I do!?

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Someone swapped a M/T into an Auto truck.. Thinks it's in park. Either get the right ECU, or figure out how to make it think it's out of park..

the 5spds did not have a rev limiter. My '95 would sing right to 6k if I wanted it to

·
Super Moderator
18,367 Posts
Are you sure it has a rev limiter, or is it just running crappy?

I have a 97 with auto trans, I dont think the revs are limited, although I dont think I have ever had to rev it that high anyways.

·
Banned
2,440 Posts
have a 95 myself with a 5 speed i never even hit 3500. in 5th it is about 1500. if you are at 3600 that thing must be screaming .

·
Wrench Turner
4,952 Posts
Factory rev limits are usually set @ 5500.They be can raised to 5800,but,that is hardset unless you use the newer 0411 controller.If your engine just won't rev past 3600,you either have a problem,or,someone has set it that way for a reason,or,thru mistake.What happens @ 3600?Are you sure the tach is reading correctly.IIRC,if the truck & PCM are from a V6,it will need to recalibrated for the V8.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
8,146 Posts
Never drove a 95 Silverado that I couldn't wind up to 5500. Red line is somewhere around there. No rev limiter to my knowledge on a rig that old.

More info is needed. Was the truck originally a automatic? Park neutral switch could come into play as timing is altered in park and neutral somewhat.
Was the truck a 4.3? was it originally an automatic?
Have you checked the fuel Pressure?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
1993 trucks all have a rev limiter. Put it in park or neutral and hold te throttle wot and it will sit there hitting the rev liiter "Wha, wha, wha, wha".
1996+ its set at 5600rpm

The 1993+ trucks used the 4l60e and if you swap in a manual trans the rev liit will be very low.

The 1992 and older trucks didnt have a rev limiter.

You need to get the proper calibration for a manual truck installed to rev any higher. The ECM is entering abuse mode.

peace
Hog

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
My '95 Sierra would hit the limiter at 4K... It is a 4L60e. I put a Hyper-tech chip in it to eliminate the limiter.
Mark

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I have a 95 single cab Chevy silverado with a crate 350 (TBI) and a 5 speed transmission, but my rev limiter is only at 3600! Why? What do I need to do to get it higher? The motor is a new crate 350 with about 50,000 miles, the transmission is from a pull apart so the motor and tranny did not come stock with this truck. I've seen trucks like mine, rev limit at 5 grand. I just want mine to be up there! So what should I do!?
How was the truck originally equiped, engine, transmission, rear end?

Transmission not original; where/what did it come from; make, model, year?

Is the computer original?

Does the speedometer read correctly?

Bogie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts