Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend just gave me the 5.7 350 out of his 95 silverdo that was recently wrecked.The motor only has 40k on it.I am looking to get at least 300hp from it.On a budget of course,right now heads are 14102193's(boat anchors).What heads can i salvage from the boneyard?What cam should i use?I have a edelbrock torker 2 intake laying around,and a edelbrock 650cfm.The motor will be carb converted and HEI.....thanx jesse

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
me, me, me!

VORTEC!

just as cheap as other heads, but you'll need to sell the other boat anchor you have (the torker intake) and buy a decent performer or RPM intake for the Vortec heads. They're all over Ebay for cheap. The GMPP intake is a very fine intake for 300 hp and more, and many guys order a Vortec crate engine and upgrade the intake leaving a brand new take off to sell on Ebay.

If you're careful, you can easily sell the torker for the same money as you buy a new take-off intake for a Vortec. I got one for $48 shipped (major find) and another for $120 shipped.

Don't worry about upgrading the springs for more lift, and if you're careful, 300 hp is easy on stock springs.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
curtis73 said:
I got one for $48 shipped (major find)
That is a hell of a deal! :drool:

I need to start looking again, I got tired of getting sniped. I know how to play that game- I can get a bid in w/less than 4 seconds left w/o using any sniping software, and have hit exactly on zero a BUNCH of times (doesn't mean you wont get outbid, though) using nothing but a stopwatch, but I'd rather waste- I mean spend my time elsewhere. ;)

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
jessecool561 said:
thanks for the info....sounds like my budget already.Should i keep the stock cam?
No, the OEM cam is total dog timing like 170 degrees give or take a few with less than .4 inch lift. If your shooting for 300 hp this won't get you there regardless of how many Vortec heads you put on the thing. It doesn't take much of a cam to get a 350 to 300 horse; something around 200 degrees at .050 inch is sufficient. This retains the robust characteristics of bottom end torque like the OEM cam, but fattens the torque curve and puts some top end into the engine at modest RPMs (less than 6000). The Edlebrock 3702 cam meant for TBI engines has a long LSA to keep the trap pressure high providing a robust low RPM torque curve mixed with duration close to the old 300 horse 327 cam. This provides a big gain in torque and horsepower with good mileage, though made for TBI engines, it works great with a carb. This cam keeps manifold vacuum high which is great for vehicles with power brakes. This cam comes on strong and doesn't require revving the engine to stratospheric RPMs to get power.

Bogie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.