Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i adjusted the valve train on my 96 tahoe, and when i put it back together it if not start. I have plenty of fuel and lots of spark, will fire a bit but will not run. I thought i might of put the distributor in 180 off, so i took it back out & replaced it 180 degree, same problem, but doesn't fire at all. any advice?

·
Registered
585 Posts
how and why did you adjust the valves, it sounds like they are too tight, not allowing it to make compression. Does it even back fire or does it just quietly spin over. run a compression test that should tell you very quickly, Good luck and let us know. I have always done it running, snug the rocker arms down just until there is no lash in the push tube bofore it starts pushing the plunger in the lifter. Fire it up with splash clips or take some stamped steel valve covers and cut the tops out of them (burning oil on the manifold stinks). with the engine warmed up I loosen the rocker arm till I hear it start to tick, tighten till the tick just goes away, then tighen 1/4 turn at time till I get 2 full turns, Then you're done. Iknow there are other ways to adjust them if anybody would like to offer somthing up??? Good luck keep us informed. Brian :cool:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wouldn't tighten two turns past zero lash. At most I would tighten 3/4 turn. I personally go about a half turn in, and have never had any problems.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
jeff_85 said:
i adjusted the valve train on my 96 tahoe, and when i put it back together it if not start. I have plenty of fuel and lots of spark, will fire a bit but will not run. I thought i might of put the distributor in 180 off, so i took it back out & replaced it 180 degree, same problem, but doesn't fire at all. any advice?
:welcome: welcome Jeff :welcome:

I suggest that you immediately search this site for recommendations as to how to adjust the valves by twisting the pushrods.

Check the compression. I bet you have the valves too tight like he suggested.

Since adjusting the valves while running is out of the question, I suggest you adjust each cylinder individually when both its valves are closed at compression and the timing marks indicate close to TDC. This is the only way you will ever get it close enough.

I think that your engine recommends 1 to 1/2 turns tight to be in the midrange of the lifter adjustment. Race adjustments are much less.

·
Registered
585 Posts
they may very well be right about less than two turns. most of my sbc's have been pre-86' and some things may have changed. Look it up for your engine. :thumbup: Brian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the information. I double check every thing today and the engine run for about 45 sec. Run very rough. I then put the engine all back together and when i tried to start it again it tried to start and when it did it would run for about 3 sec and then backfire through the throttle body and die. tried moving distributor a little each way bout would never stay running more than ten sec. Any advice

·
Registered
585 Posts
is there any black smoke ???? R U positive that you installed the distributor correctly??? and did you check the compression??? also is it a tbi set up?? or MFI???Brian

·
Registered
177 Posts
If it's backfiring through intake, you need to loosen rockers. Like was suggested, do a search on setting lash cold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts