Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had pretty good luck with my Dodge Advenger, with almost 120K trouble free miles. However, two items have bothered me. First, the check engine light for no apparent reason keeps coming on (and it has oil in it and new plugs/wires). How do I get it to go out? Second, the head light lenses are made out of plastic and are all pitted which causes the lights to be dim, and the car dealers want a ton of money for replacements. Anyone have a simular problem or know an easy fix (besides selling it)? Do they make after market lenses for them?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had luck buffing schratches out of light lenses. Tou really have to be carefull not to heat the plastic though, start by wet sanding with at least 1000 grit paper. and buff as you would a paint finish. just do not use to much pressure if you are using a high speed buffer. If you are buffing by hand you will not encounter that problem. I sugest a mcquires diamond cut compound. Otherwise new aftermarket lights will cost you about 175 to 250 a side.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would also try buffing out the pits in your headlights, that is unless you can scavenge some decent ones from a wreck. The check engine light could be a ton of things the best way to get to the root of the problem is to check the engine codes in the computer. I am not sure if you can still do this, but with the earlier chryslers you could check the codes by turning the ignition on (not to the point that it starts) 3 times and it would flash , on the dash , all the troubled code numbers. Best bet is to pick up a fuel injection manual (Haynes) it has the procedure and a list of all the codes.
Hope this helps.
Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts