Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
drive like you hate it.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. I have a 1996 Explorer where the transmission wont allow the vehicle to move more than 1" per second(for. or rev.). It has 175000 miles on it, so a rebuild is needed, but i prefer a used or recently rebuilt unit from web. Is this a common problem that may be externally fixed, or is a used/rebuilt unit my best chance(it cost me 2k so 1500=trans is too much, primarily back-up vehicle)? Thanks (auto trans r voodoo)

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
matt167 said:
IIRC the '96 Expo uses the A4-LD if it's a V6 or the 4R-55E if it's a V8.. need to know V8 or V6. there 2 diffrent animals
by 95, they were electronic, engine size is irrelevant. it either came with a 4r44/5r44/4r55/5r55 E model trans in it.
the biggest difference is that the v-8 models that year, came with a 4r70w.
the later models that came with a 4.6l, will have a 5r55s and can be identified by the lack of a filler tube/dipstick for that trans.

as for the lack of movement, what checks have been done? has the computer been scanned for trouble codes?
how does the fluid look and smell? and is it full?
how did it work before it quit moving?
has it been slowly acting up, or just decided to not move?
we need more info.

·
drive like you hate it.
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for technical reply, instead of "get rebuilt". The trans ran near perfect, except in 4wheel it had 4wheel idiot light flashing(mostly came on w/hard driving)until I turned it off for for a few mins. The fluid is not burnt, or low. I was at a stop light and went to go and it went to about 25, then into a neutral state with little movement.

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
empty h said:
Thanks for technical reply, instead of "get rebuilt". The trans ran near perfect, except in 4wheel it had 4wheel idiot light flashing(mostly came on w/hard driving)until I turned it off for for a few mins. The fluid is not burnt, or low. I was at a stop light and went to go and it went to about 25, then into a neutral state with little movement.
sounds like it may be transfer case related more than trans with the info you provided. 1st you gotta find out what codes are in the GEM module and check the fluid in it as well.
the shift motors are known to have problems, i cant say thats it or the t-case is the problem, but from what you describe, thats where id look. gl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.