Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Monte has been refusing to start on a random basis. I've been trying to detect a pattern- hot, cold, wet conditions- and there is nothing consistent. Sometimes she starts, sometimes she doesn't. Usually, when she doesn't, if I wait about 2 or 3 minutes and try again, she'll start. So far it's never left me stranded as long as I've been patient. I haven't taken it to a garage because I haven't detected a pattern of any kind yet- but the problem is getting worse and now it needs to be fixed. This is my winter car, and there's snow all over the place. Does anyone recognize the problem??

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
my nuddy is also having the same problem with his caprice. he told me it needed a new dizzy. i looked under the hood and it didnt have one but i had a power coil instead. i told him you mean a power coil he said yeah w/e that is. he would drive the car around the neiborhood and then come down a hill with it died out to my house and i would talk to him and he would wait and it would start. but wouldnt start right away. i told him to get a new fuel pump, maybe its the same problem as you. right now his car still starts but only stays running until it gets warmed up. so now hes not driving it.

try the dizzy/power coil, or the fuel pump. i dont think its the starter unless you keep cranking it until the battery is dead. without giving it time to cool down.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Check the resistence at the coil packs against the recomendations in a repair manual,unless someone here knows what it should be.I do not have a book here to that year..They can be going south.Mostly with coil pack problems though,they get hot and then begin to stop firing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.