Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
if you retain the same ful injection system etc but i think 96 will have 8 bolt intake vs old 12 bolt style so you would need to swap heads also

and a fewother things

but you could make the engine work in it regardless

good luck

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
hmm kinda sorta not really

cost much less to put the 91 engine in

but..

also im not positive on which year the intakes and heads changed but it wasnt until at least 95 i know for sure

96 may still have old style 12 bolt intake and heads youll have to check on yours

good luck!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Bottom end is compatible heads and intake will need to be swapped. If it is a Vortec, the intake to head pattern is different.

·
Registered
15,316 Posts
troythefixer said:
I have a 96 bdurban with a bad knock, will a 91 5.7 swap in, would really like to use the vortec motor in my 57 chevy truck..........tks Troy
The 96 is a Vortec, it shares nothing in common systems wise with 1991 TBI engines. The ony commonality is with the major rotating crank parts. The 91's timing cover is different and not interchangeable with the 96. You need the 96 timing cover to operate the Vortec injection. To drop back to the 91 TBI would require major changes to the truck's electrical system, fuel supply system, emissions systems, and possibly the 4L60E's internals as different count data resolvers are used across the TBI to Vortec configurations.

This change would be more complicated and expensive than you realize. Putting another set of Vortec heads on the 91 engine and converting it to a carb for the 57 would be a lot simpler and cheaper.

Bogie

·
Registered
6 Posts
The timing cover will fit the 91 block, It uses 2 less bolts but they line up. You also have to use the reluctor wheel, balancer, heads, and intake like everyone else mentioned. I think you have to use the flexplate as well but im not certain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
clayton ,

Tks for the input, this is looking more and more like the orig. engine is going back in the truck, but because of the help of all the responders the vortec is becoming a litte more clear all the time....Tks again..........Troy

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
One other thing... You can't re-use the vortec timing cover. The front seal is cast in place, and there is an integrated sealer/o-ring gasket on the cover. You have to replace the cover once it is removed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.