Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 96 t-bird with a 3.8 that used to be my daily driver, but now its got engine problems, sounds like it knocking. I dont want to put a lot of money in the little 3.8. I know where there is a 4.6 v8 in 92 (?) police Intercepter that I am debating trying to swap.

Im curious if it would be an easy swap or with stuff like wiring and exhuast and transmissions work from the factory 3.8 setup? I know the computer would need changed also.

Im afraid it may be a lot of trouble so Im lookign for info on the swap.

Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It wouldn't be as easy as you might think, but overall not too bad. Just because the 4.6 is from a P72 doesn't really mean it is anything special. You'd probably be best off finding a '94-'97 Cougar or T-Bird with a 4.6 and using that as a swap/parts vehicle. They can be found fairly cheap these days.

I cannot remember if the 3.8 stuck with the SBF bellhousing pattern or if it inherited the mod motor bellhousing pattern. If it stuck with the SBF bellhousing pattern and the '92 engine is an early engine then it will also have the SBF bellhousing pattern.

Frankly it's going to take a lot more time and money than it sounds like you want to spend. If you do have your heart set on a 4.6 then shop around for a '99+ Mustang 4.6 engine. Those seem to be the hot ticket although I'm not much into the 4.6 engines.

If it's just a daily driver then get the 3.8 fixed up and drive it. I've had excellent luck with that engine. If maintained properly it will outlast the car especially if you live in the rust belt.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The 4.6 was a tight fit in the T-bird and there are probably enough unique parts to drive your crazy. I have a '89 V-6 and a '97 V-8 T-birds and there really is not a great deal of difference in performance between the two. Not enough anyway to spend a lot of time and money changing one from the other. Also, the 4.6 gets about 4-5 less mpg.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it is a ford and I am a Gm kinda guy, so I guess i better pass on this one. I actually got a daily driver, I don't even need this car so I guess Im gonna do something else.

Thanks for your guidance and knowledge sharing on this topic, its appreciated.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
The first thing to do (IMO) is check with your state of residence emissions control agency and see what is legal and not legal regarding swaps. This thing is EEC-V and all they do is plug into the communications port to scan the computor. If the VIN says 3.8L and the scan pulls up a 4.6L PCM, you are caught.

You can also modify the modular for carburetor and non-PCM control of the DIS, but again you are flaunting emission law.

The only way I would want to try it is to have a complete donor car there or a nearby salvage yard. Then you would either have to have the BIRD PCM reflashed or plumb the POLICE CROWN PCM into the system for maximum performance from the Police 4.6L.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have 2 Birds, a 96 with a 3.8L and a 97 with a 4.6L. we bought the 97 cause it was a cheap deal and needed another car. After looking over the 4.6 I don't think I would want to have to do any major engine work on it do to the overhead cam setup. The 3.8 gets 30+ MPG on the hiway on long trips, the 4.6 only gets 22 MPG. Plan to get rid of the 97 when I can find a deal on another 94-95 Mustang 5.0

Dan

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
30+ MPG :eek: I've had mine for years and always took good care of it, tuned up and all and it never got better than 25 on the highway. Luckily, if I did do the swap there are hardly any emmissions requirements here for that kinda thing. But, it dont look likle I'll even be doing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts