Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone dared and had any success changing the seal on the plastic timing cover? I know you’re supposed to drip the pan, remove the cover and replace it with a new one. Is it really not replaceable and has anyone tried?
All comments welcome and thank you for them.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I don't think there is anyway to change out the crank seal on the timing cover. The cover is plastic and the amount of force it would take to pound one in most likely would brake the cover itself as it does not take a bunch of force but it would be enough to most likely crack the timing cover. If your needing the actual vortec cover to still use the crank sensor then I would not risk it and would just get the new cover if yours is leaking at the crank seal area.

If your not using the vortec fuel injection system then you can take the cover off and remove the spacer behind the cover and you can get a new standard harmonic balancer and get a new standard small chevy timing cover if your using a carbureted application. If your still using all things factory just get a new cover and go with that route. I would not risk it. I have had a vortec before and the plastic cover was very flimsy and I doubt it would survive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think there is anyway to change out the crank seal on the timing cover. The cover is plastic and the amount of force it would take to pound one in most likely would brake the cover itself as it does not take a bunch of force but it would be enough to most likely crack the timing cover. If your needing the actual vortec cover to still use the crank sensor then I would not risk it and would just get the new cover if yours is leaking at the crank seal area.

If your not using the vortec fuel injection system then you can take the cover off and remove the spacer behind the cover and you can get a new standard harmonic balancer and get a new standard small chevy timing cover if your using a carbureted application. If your still using all things factory just get a new cover and go with that route. I would not risk it. I have had a vortec before and the plastic cover was very flimsy and I doubt it would survive.
Thanks buddy, I’m running all the factory stuff. I used to screw a couple sheet metal screws in the seal and pry it out gently with a couple of screwdrivers. The that was in the old days, I didn’t want the PIA task of dropping the pan (4x4) and risking that leaking too. Thanks for the info and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
l do thank you for the kind words and hope you do get this fixed and are successful with it and you don't have to have to much of a hard time getting it fixed. I know if your using a one piece oil pan gasket it can be hard as from what I would think you would have to drop the entire oil pan but not all the way off but just enough that everything is loose and you drop it enough to allow you to take the cover off then re install the timing cover and tighten everything back up but even with a once piece gasket, the four corners are normally an issue still and many still recommend to use a spot of gasket maker on the four corners as it will have a tendency to leak still.

Good luck on your engine and hope you get it sealed and going leak free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.