Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up with the Vortec 350's and the replace the timing cover deal ? I just tore apart my old engine that expired and on the plastic cover it says "Replace assembly upon removal" , the new rebuilt I bought has no seal or gasket for it , everything else is there . Do you really have to but a new one ? I would think I could use a gasket maker type of sealant so it wont leak , but I would hate to put it all together and have it fail. What have you all done in this case ?

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
Unfortunately, you do. The seal is non replaceable, and the cover isn't really all that expensive. Dorman makes one, or you can grab one from a dealer.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,086 Posts
One of my customers is a Race driving school. They primarily in the past few years have gone over to ZZ4 crate motors. Of those crate motors I've had to freshen about 6 of them. On all 6 I've re-used the plastic timing covers with zero failures or leaks. I'm careful when I remove them and inspect them for any cracking. Around the face seal I use no silicone, only in the corners where the pan meets.

I agree though that a new one is pretty cheap insurance so if you're not sure err to the side of caution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts