Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck stopped running while going down the road, checked everything, pulled it home, as i looked it over i saw that the timing belt was broke. i tore it apart and replaced the belt, set the marks as close as possible, (what a pain), the tensioner was hard to move after i loosened it, so i used a blaock of wood and hammer, even to tighten it, after i put it together it wouldnt start. turns over, but sounds like the belt is to tight, (is that possible), i also here little backfires out the tailpipe. some one told me i probably bent the valves (is this possible) i dont here any noises of that as it turns over, any help?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Not sure what engine you have but most likely distributor is now out of time. Will have to take back apart and get that gear in alignment too.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
jazzy25 said:
...the tensioner was hard to move after i loosened it, so i used a blaock of wood and hammer, even to tighten it...
:pain:

I am assuming this is a 2.3L? I doubt the cam timing is correct. Once you have that correct and the engine still will not start, perform a compression test for the possibities of a bent valve(s) (or watch valve(s) movement while turning over engine).

Once you have what you think is correct positioning of the timing marks and the belt installed (and tensioner properly adjusted), you need to manually turn the engine over (by hand) several revolutions to ascertain correct timing.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
Not sure about a '99, but earlier 2.3s didn't have any valve interference problems( I know, I've broken a few belts), so the timing issues brought up are most likely. When you mention the tensioner being tight, I couldn't help but wonder if you loosened both bolts and not just the tension adjusting one. Both bolts need to be lossened. The pivot bolt can create the tightness you described if not loosened.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Try GOOGLE. All the information you need is right there, such as recommended belt replacement intervals, valve interference, timing, tension, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the info so far, from what all of you are saying doesnt seem to be a valve problem, (my fingers r crossed), yes it is a 2.3 overhead cam(8 spark plugs), and no i didnt loosen both bolts, didnt realize there were 2, and i didnt realize the cam cicles twice as the crank once, found that out after i set the timing and rotated by hnd when i first changed it, but i am going to take all of your advice and start all over, thanks for the help, any more info, just pass it along, thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
99 ford ranger

already fixed, the problem was oil pump whent bad causing the timing belt to snap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts