Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys:
I'm building a Northstar powered, (rear engine) 37 Ford. I've drawn up and fabricated all 8 control arms, (out of 6061-t6 plate 1 1/2 inches thick). I also made my bushings out of UHMW, which I think has a durometer of 100, (can't dent with fingernail). They also use a sleeve made of 5/8" .058 wall tubing for a 1/2 inch bolt. I'm having second thoughts now for two reasons. 1) Will the UHMW withstand the constant pounding that the control arms are subjected to, and 2) Being that the bushings are so hard, it probably won't do much in the way of vibration absorbsion. This car is for my wife, so you know if it doesn't ride smoothe as silk, I'm going to hear about it. Anyone used UHMW for this purpose? Northstar John

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
UHMW PE is a good bearing material. It has a lower coeifficient of friction then acetal (aka: Delrin®) as well as being less brittle. It should last plenty long. What will kill it fast will be dirt or grit getting into it or the steel sleeve rusting. Most likely there will be less NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness) then using polyurethane because of MUCH less friction/stiction...

...However nothing will do as well as rubber for NVH because of the extra cushioning and zero friction.

Have a look at this:
http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=8786

Edit: Just don't get the UHMW PE too hot...it has a low melting point. On normal RWD cars the upper control arm bushings are quite close to the exhaust. With the North* I have no idea what your exhaust will look like.

Do you have any pics of the project? Sounds fun :drool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A-Arm Bushings

Thanks Triaged.
I checked out your link and all it made me do was be afraid to post anything. Those people are brutal. I'm just a poor schlep who is trying to build a car and who has questions, and this site seemed like the answer to my prayers. That aside, the one thing I picked up, (Between the assassinations), was that UHMW seems to be the right stuff. I'm still going to do some research, but for now, I'm staying with it.
Thnx again, Nstar John

P.s. I'll post some pictures as soon as we get this "Photo Journal" problem resolved.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Northstar John said:
Thanks Triaged.
I checked out your link and all it made me do was be afraid to post anything. Those people are brutal. I'm just a poor schlep who is trying to build a car and who has questions, and this site seemed like the answer to my prayers. That aside, the one thing I picked up, (Between the assassinations), was that UHMW seems to be the right stuff. I'm still going to do some research, but for now, I'm staying with it.
Thnx again, Nstar John

P.s. I'll post some pictures as soon as we get this "Photo Journal" problem resolved.
Yes. Those guys are brutal. :smash: But most of them do know what they are talking about and aren't afraid to step out into the unknown.

I have never machined UHMW. How does it cut? It seems most of the worry about it was based on it being difficult to machine. You already have that covered as you already made them.

I am becoming less and less a fan of poly bushings for anything that has relative motion (like suspension bushings). For anti-roll bar end link bushings and body/engine/trans mounts it works good. It just has too much friction to be used for suspension bushings without constant greasing...they use the stuff for wheels for a reason :boxing: I'll be swapping some of my poly bushings out for rubber in the next week or 2...the squeaking is killing me.

IMO: UHMW PE much much better then Polyurethane.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A-Arm Bushings

Hi Triaged:
UHMW actually machines pretty easily. A bit stringy, but if you use a tool bit with lots of back-rake, it works fine. After reading everything on this site, I'm convinced that it's the way to go. I installed the front lowers today and everything is very smooth and tight. I'd send a picture, but I haven't figured out how yet. Thx, Nstar John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.