Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put a/c in my '36 ford coupe soon. Any advice on which system, brand, install tips, etc? I want the a/c hidden up under the dash as much as possible. I'm a real tightwad, so I'm always looking for ways to do it myself and save a buck. (besides, I like working on the thing) Any info appreciated!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I`ve used Vintage Air systems with much success in all the rods I`ve built, good service too. The kit is complete but I advise to buy the opional control panel...it`s just slicker.

·
Registered
71 Posts
VINTAGE AIR, That is what most folks are using nowadays.
Pick up any hot rod mag. and IF it has air..it's 90% of the time VINTAGE
From what I have heard, they are fairly easy to install also.
Keep it cool :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree. Vintage air works and fits the best. I sell Vintage kits through my shop on a regular basis and have never had a complaint. The smallest one they make is the SHORT PACK, but he GenIICompac is the biggest seller for me. It all depends on you under dash dimensions for space, but either one will definitely cool your rod.

·
Registered
323 Posts
during the 60s hang on A/C was very popular especially with fords if you have a classic bone yard near you you could pobably find a complete unit mustangs were equipted with them and fit nicely under the dash

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want a good reliable A/C & Heater Unit thet really works try contacting Old Air Products (oldairproducts.com) they were very helpfull in adding A/C & Heaters to my 3 vehicles I originally purchased a Vintage air unit and finally returned it. It was supposed to be a "Sure fit" but was not even close, the customer service and tech help was not good at all. As a result Vintage Air will not be getting any more business from me.
The sales people at Old Air (Johnny & Clint)were very knowledgable about the A/C Units they sell and privided excellant customer service and tech help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
slightly on the subject , does anyone know of any "universal" heater units (really compact) , ive seen heaps on A/C units but I dont want the drag on the engine , Im currently doing up a 79 Torana with alot of custom self fabricated bits and wanted to keep the firewall flat as poss , (factory heater has a large blower and duct on the firewall) internal fan could be nice to ...

TIA

Cheers
Dale.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks tintop they have something thatll do the job nicely :)

Just a pity I have to pay for it in NZ dollars :)

Cheers
Dale.

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: Swishy ]</p>

·
First name...............Shawn
631 Posts
We sell Hot Rod Air. I have never had any complaints about them. They are the same basic design as Vintage Air. From what I have HEARD, the ex-vice president of Vintage Air tried to get a few changes made to Vintage Airs units, but they wouldn't do it, so he broke off and started making his own A/C units, under the name Hot Rod Air. Again, this is what I've heard.

A nice difference between Vintage and Hot Rod, the blower fan is behind all the hoses on a Vintage Air unit, so to remove the blower fan incase of it going bad, you have to disconnect the hoses, risk spilling anti-freeze on your carpet, and discharging the whole system. Hot Rod Air's blower motor simply drops out the bottom, avoiding to problems stated above. Both company sell nice units, just a few differences.

Shawn Krist
Krist Kustoms
Kustom Automotive Interiors

1 - 12 of 12 Posts