Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a Vintage Air A/C system in my '67 Fairlane. There are a number of options on hoses and fittings. I'd like to hear from those that have done this installation and what you did about the hoses. I'm wondering if I should just install all the components and take it to a shop that makes the hoses and let them figure it out.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Three ways to go. First, like you said take it to a shop that makes hoses and let them route the hoses. Two, route the hoses, mark the fittings and take them to a shop to crimp. Three, buy a crimping tool, vacuum pump and gauges and do it yourself. Of course you will use the O-ring style fittings. New tools will run ABOUT $300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have installed two VA kits. The first in my 40 Ford Pickup (can you say tight) of which they don't make a kit for. I had to use their universal units for hoses fittings etc. It was relatively easy to follow the instructions and complete the install. With the major components installed, I mocked the hoses and fittings (they're different sizes so you cannot route them incorrectly). With the hoses and fittings properly "clocked" I marked both with a silver sharpie and took them to a custom hose shop with the proper crimping tool. My second install was with one of their "Surefit" kits on my 68 Coronet wagon. This kit was less thinking because of the properly sized components included. I had to have two hoses crimped though. I paid $25 for the shop crimping.

·
Registered
679 Posts
When installing a Vintage Air kit in my '57 Suburban, I chose to "let a shop figure out the hoses". I gave them the hoses and fittings that came with the kit, but the result (excellent work!) was surprisingly expensive, around 600 Canadian dollars, including charging the system... Next time, I will look into doing my own hoses, it will be cheaper and more interesting...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't looked into the cost to "let a shop figure it out" but I wasn't thinking it would be that much. I actually just ordered everything yesterday. I'm going to give it a shot myself. I did find a nearby shop to crimp the hoses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts