Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got two questions i heard if ur ganna build a engine that ur ganna beat alot not to put valve seals in it cuz the oil helps keep the cilinders lubed...and my second ? does nebody have any tips on buildin a HP Pontiac 400 BB engine

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
First, if you don't want people to make fun of your lack of schooling..... use the spell checker and proper punctuation.

Although we do have a fair amount of young people here who speak Ebonics, most of the really knowledgeable people are older and aren't willing to try to decipher the kind of gibberish you've posted here. It only takes a few more seconds to use correct punctuation, capitalization where it's required and the spell checker. You'll get much better response if you do. If you don't you have nothing but people making fun of your typing skills.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
Centerline said:
First, if you don't want people to make fun of your lack of schooling..... use the spell checker and proper punctuation.
I agree Centerline, but it appears that what he was using is typical text messaging "lingo". Since this isn't a "text message" site, he will probably get a better response by using proper language... even when the spelling is poor, at least it would make more sense.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,306 Posts
Always use valve seals. ALWAYS. I've never heard of not using them. The cylinders are splashed from underneath with oil and there are special rings to keep oil OUT of the combustion area for a reason. Letting oil in the top end causes detonation, fouled plugs, carboned-up chambers and pistons, pollutes the atmosphere, and doesn't do a darn thing to help lubricate the cylinders.

Whoever told you that should be shot, stoned, and otherwise slapped with a wet noodle until dead.

Secondly, for the sake of clarification, there is no BB or SB pontiac engine. They are all the same basic family; same deck height, same basic geometry, most parts interchange, physically same size on the outside, same weight, etc.

Pontiacs respond well to compression and high octane fuel that goes with it, but no need to go nuts. A nice 9:1 on 6X heads, headers, a 220 or so degree cam, and a Performer intake will do very well. Should get you close to 400 hp.

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
well....I'm not going to make fun of your lingo on here like everyone else b/c I type the same way most of the time, but anyway I too have heard that if you want to beat the living hell out of a an engine don't put stem seals in it, but I see a problem with that.......... with all that extra oil in the cylinder burning off you're going to get a lot of carbon buildup in the combustion chamber and you also risk fouling plugs and destroying them as well.... so I'm not sure if thats such a great idea....I do know there is a type of fuel additive thats basically an upper cylinder lube you put in your fuel....to me that sounds like a better route.....

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,306 Posts
To me, if you're going to beat on an engine, you build it to take abuse. Letting oil leak past the valves isn't going to help. It can actually accelerate cylinder wear. When oil burns it creates little rock-hard carbon crystals, just like the coking you get in turbos. Are you sure you want sandpaper in your cylinders?

If you look at burnt oil under a microscope it looks like a black geode or a huge chunk of salt crystals.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Well I agree with Centerline 100%, what was attempted to be written was not ebonics but unfortunately a growing trend in a general lack of education in the kings english. I commend Centerline for speaking up and addressing this members attention to his bad grammar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.