Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1960 31 spline ford nine inch I'm having a lot of trouble getting the passenger side axle out. Can anyone help?

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
Bent tube is real common. Burrs on the axle end is another common problem. they are somewhat a tight fit.

Try a slide hammer or take the other side out and hammer on a long steel rod to drive out the axle from the carrier end.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
Mine has a three jaw thingy that goes on the end. I then wrap a zip tie around the jaws so they don't slip.

Have you tried using beating on the inside flange of the axle with a soft faced dead blow hammer. Get one about 3 pounds or so. Whack it good.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
You can also use a piece of chain as a slide hammer. Bolt one end to a stud and snap it tight....works the same. although a weight on it is more effective.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Put the brake drum on inside out with the nuts on about 3-4 threads, flat side toward the drum. Use the drum as a bang-puller. It will pop right out....... if you have the 4 retaining bolts out......LOL :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem solved.

I finally got it out but it was really seized on there. What I had to do was tie a chain to one end of the rear end and another chain to the axle. Then I just pulled it out with my truck. The axle wasn't bent or anything.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If memory serve's me right ? The bearing is pressed ontoo the Axle . Meaning bearing should have come off with the Axle ? Inspect bearing for Discolouration . If I remember correctly ? They can be kinda tuff , if bearing gett's Lil hott . Tend's too bake gear lube around outer race . Doesnt wanna come out of Axle houseing . Sign of Heat possibly . Be Nice too the Bearing , or make new Freind's, with a New bearing . Bearing did come out on the axle, Didnt it ? Sean

·
Registered
639 Posts
How are the splines? A traction lock has the clutch pack on the left, if the splines are twisted it won't pass through the clutches and side gear easily.

·
likes chevy trucks & boobies
1,971 Posts
pasenger side is harder to yank out yes

how i do it is i put a chain on one of the lug studs with a lug nut and then i yank on it really hard

had to do this on the 77 f150 4x4 not too long ago, its a 31 spline 9" with 3.50 gear

we broke the housing at the pinion bearing support

these housings are pretty weak, cant take the load in a 4x4, thin casting around the bearing,

whoever says 9" are strong dont know very much about these axles,

10 and 12 bolts and dana 44/60 dont break like this nor other axles

good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts