Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
From the middle of the world
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need some help with this issue please,
My dad's 1997 expedition 5.4 engine E4OD tranny, is experimenting this issue, with no apparent related driving condition sometimes the TCIL starts flashing and the shifts become very rough, if I shut the engine off and re-start againg it becomes normal, I have scanned the system and found no fault codes stored, what could be causing this problem? the truck only has 40.000 miles on it.
Thanks.
Augusto.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
Augusto said:
Hi, I need some help with this issue please,
My dad's 1997 expedition 5.4 engine E4OD tranny, is experimenting this issue, with no apparent related driving condition sometimes the TCIL starts flashing and the shifts become very rough, if I shut the engine off and re-start againg it becomes normal, I have scanned the system and found no fault codes stored, what could be causing this problem? the truck only has 40.000 miles on it.
Thanks.
Augusto.

the check engine light in the dash or the OD light for the trans is flashing?

What type of scanner is used for the scan of the computer?

When you shut the vehicle off... it is reseting itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not a FORD tech but own 2 t-birds with auto OD trans. One had a problem shifting and felt like the engine was skipping. Searched the t-bird forums and found out the trans needs flushing about every 20,000 - 30,000 miles and they recomended using MERCON V fluid. It made a difference in the bird.

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crosley,
I'ts the Transmission Control Indicator Ligth, the overdrive off ligth, I scanned it with a handheld scaner, it's my brother's gadget so I can't remember the brand name, plugged into the OBD port under the dash, nothing wrong was found, I have a ford truck service manual for the 2.000 model year wich uses a different tranny but says that when the TCIL flashes there is short in the line pressure solenoid, could it apply to the 1.997 model year E4OD ? it was shifting like it had a shift kit in it, definitelly the line pressure was at full boost.
I tougth trans problem sets trouble codes in the memory.
Thanks for helping.
Augusto.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Augusto said:
Crosley,
I'ts the Transmission Control Indicator Ligth, the overdrive off ligth, I scanned it with a handheld scaner, it's my brother's gadget so I can't remember the brand name, plugged into the OBD port under the dash, nothing wrong was found, I have a ford truck service manual for the 2.000 model year wich uses a different tranny but says that when the TCIL flashes there is short in the line pressure solenoid, could it apply to the 1.997 model year E4OD ? it was shifting like it had a shift kit in it, definitelly the line pressure was at full boost.
I tougth trans problem sets trouble codes in the memory.
Thanks for helping.
Augusto.
My understanding is that there is two code storing sections in the computer. Normal hand held scanners will not read the "deep" codes. I would guess that a full diagnosis scanner will throw a three digit code for your problem.

Check every connection for corrosion and seal with silicone grease.

·
Registered
168 Posts
hey there, ford tech here.

the above poster is correct, non-manufacturer scanners can only read the continuous codes and not the stored memory. Best bet: take it to a dealer and have them run a diag on it, it costs one hour labor.

...and without knowing exactly what code it is, and not being a tranny certified tech, I have no clue what's causing it :D... aren't I helpful?

ps, also have them look up any related TSB's for you if you do take it in... they can help lead you in the right direction.

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm bringing up this post again because I just came back from the beach in this same vehicle and the tranny gave me a couple of scary moments,

we live here in the andes mountains so there's a lot of tranny shifting here, sometimes when upshifting at WOT from first to second instead of engaging 2nd gear, it slipped like if it went into neutral and I had to back off the pedal instantly to avoid over-revving or frying something, it engaged into second as soon as I released the gas...

on other 2 ocations it made the harsh shifting with the OD ligth flashing againg, I had to shut the engine off and things went back to normal

I'm not sure if this is normal for this trans, when going uphill on twisty roads usually at or near WOT I manually shift into 2nd to avoid upshifting when negotiating the turns but when I do so it feels lazy and won't downshift to 1st, it does as soon as I select D ( I have to do the lever fiddling because this behemont has only a 3.30 rear end ratio and on the mountains at 10 or 12.000 feet above sea level with an anemic 5.4 engine it really sucks)

please help me find what's goin on, I use a lot this truck and don't want a total trans failure in the middle of nothing. (ps, the ATF looks fine, no burnt smell or dark color)

thanks

Augusto.

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
Augusto said:
Hey Guys,

I'm bringing up this post again because I just came back from the beach in this same vehicle and the tranny gave me a couple of scary moments,

we live here in the andes mountains so there's a lot of tranny shifting here, sometimes when upshifting at WOT from first to second instead of engaging 2nd gear, it slipped like if it went into neutral and I had to back off the pedal instantly to avoid over-revving or frying something, it engaged into second as soon as I released the gas...

on other 2 ocations it made the harsh shifting with the OD ligth flashing againg, I had to shut the engine off and things went back to normal

I'm not sure if this is normal for this trans, when going uphill on twisty roads usually at or near WOT I manually shift into 2nd to avoid upshifting when negotiating the turns but when I do so it feels lazy and won't downshift to 1st, it does as soon as I select D ( I have to do the lever fiddling because this behemont has only a 3.30 rear end ratio and on the mountains at 10 or 12.000 feet above sea level with an anemic 5.4 engine it really sucks)

please help me find what's goin on, I use a lot this truck and don't want a total trans failure in the middle of nothing. (ps, the ATF looks fine, no burnt smell or dark color)

thanks

Augusto.
augusto, crosley is correct in that odds are that when you shut the vehicle off that the code doesnt stay. the code is going to have to be retrieved while the o.d. light is still flashing. even with some of todays scan tools, some codes dont always go into stored memory. some of the things that can cause harsh shifts can range from a v.s.s., MLPS, solenoid block, wiring, or it can be internal. what will help the most is to get it scanned while the o.d. light is flashing. otherwise people can guess all they want and they could still be wrong.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
All of the Ford AT that I have had

When the gear selector is in 2nd gear----tranny STAYS in second gear.
I actually liked this feature on the Ford products I have had.
Grew up in the mountains of Idaho and in the winter, staying out of 1st gear helped keep you from getting stuck.

In wet weather---also help to keep from spinning tires from a stop.

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tnsmith10 said:
augusto, crosley is correct in that odds are that when you shut the vehicle off that the code doesnt stay. the code is going to have to be retrieved while the o.d. light is still flashing. even with some of todays scan tools, some codes dont always go into stored memory. some of the things that can cause harsh shifts can range from a v.s.s., MLPS, solenoid block, wiring, or it can be internal. what will help the most is to get it scanned while the o.d. light is flashing. otherwise people can guess all they want and they could still be wrong.

problem is that when the problem shows I'm very far away from a scanner, I would have to take one with me... I should...!!

Sometimes I get the feeling that the TPS is the culprit.. just a feeling...

Augusto.

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bryan59EC said:
All of the Ford AT that I have had

When the gear selector is in 2nd gear----tranny STAYS in second gear.
I actually liked this feature on the Ford products I have had.
Grew up in the mountains of Idaho and in the winter, staying out of 1st gear helped keep you from getting stuck.

In wet weather---also help to keep from spinning tires from a stop.

in my explorer I always shift into second and works very nice for mountain roads but in this expedition it feels very strange, sluggish... D works better.

on GM vehicles 2nd works great, it's the rigth position for spirited driving on twisty roads.

Augusto.

·
Registered
50 Posts
hard shift

When the computer sets a transmission code the computer calls for max line pressure.
The hard shift is the resault of a code being set.
Find the code and act accordingly.

Good luck

Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.