Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
Joined
·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
copied and pasted because its on a members only forum, figured some of you might want to know:

Vendor: KWIKWIRE
Product: 14 circuit chassis wiring harness.

When I ordered this harness, the description from kwikwire stated that it came with detailed instructions. When I got it, all it had was instructions on how to wire it in to GM cars, no schematic, just a basic list of wires and what pins to hook them to on GM plugs. Obviously this is of little help to me, Wiring this into a modern EFI car is a bit different, and I need a schematic of the harness, not text.

However, at the back of the book, there is a nearly complete schematic of the harness, however, it's scaled down to the point where you can't read it. No big deal, I'll just call them. Here's where it starts getting interesting...

So the woman I speak to on the phone, tells me that they cannot release the schematic to anyone for copyright purposes. This blows my mind, because I just spent 300 dollars with them. Their "lawyers" were the ones who urged them to scale it down to the point where it was illegible, so no one could copy it.

I tell them that never in all my life as a mechanical engineer, have I ever purchased a product and not received a schematic. I was blown away. She was adamant that it was strictly for copyright purposes. They said they were very concerned about things getting sent to china and cloned.

At this point, I was annoyed, but having been in the situation, I understand that a small company has to do what it can.

Then it got really interesting...

She told me that the company does give out the schematic, but only if I pay 20 dollars.

This is what made me REALLY MAD.

So they've already got 300 of my dollars, and now they want to CHARGE me to give me the information I need to use it?

It's not about protecting themselves at all! If this was my MO, I could call up and ask for the schematic, having never bought a harness, pay 20 dollars and send it to china to get cloned. Yet here I am, having already spent 300 dollars with them, have an actual part IN HAND that I could send out to get cloned, and the have the audacity to ask me for 20 dollars (plus shipping) more for the rest of the instructions? They said that "it costs money to print, and we don't send anything electronically".


F THEM. I will never, ever buy something from them again, and I hope you don't either.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rip VW and tomd1145

·
one full turn after it squeeks
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
thanks for the info - - - sounds like doing "bad business" is getting to be the norm these days - - - even our own Gooberment is getting real good at it :nono:

good luck with the harness
 

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
Joined
·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
in case anyone is wondering, he didnt pay the $20. im quite sure he can figure it out himself, its just nice to have the figuring done for you already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,249 Posts
Worth a try

I bought a wiring diagram for my '54 Ford it was printed on 8 1/2 X 11 my 64 year old eyes had a hard time reading it,took it to Fed-Ex Kinkos and they blew it up to 11X14 and laminated it for less than $5 now I can read it and if I get grease on it, it wipes right off. :thumbup:
 

·
NEVER SATISFIED !!
Joined
·
1,947 Posts
JeffB said:
I bought a wiring diagram for my '54 Ford it was printed on 8 1/2 X 11 my 64 year old eyes had a hard time reading it,took it to Fed-Ex Kinkos and they blew it up to 11X14 and laminated it for less than $5 now I can read it and if I get grease on it, it wipes right off. :thumbup:

Now thats a great idea. Why didn't I think of that ?

454 RATTLER
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
lowROLLERchevy said:
copied and pasted because its on a members only forum, figured some of you might want to know:

Vendor: KWIKWIRE
Product: 14 circuit chassis wiring harness.

When I ordered this harness, the description from kwikwire stated that it came with detailed instructions. When I got it, all it had was instructions on how to wire it in to GM cars, no schematic, just a basic list of wires and what pins to hook them to on GM plugs. Obviously this is of little help to me, Wiring this into a modern EFI car is a bit different, and I need a schematic of the harness, not text.

However, at the back of the book, there is a nearly complete schematic of the harness, however, it's scaled down to the point where you can't read it. No big deal, I'll just call them. Here's where it starts getting interesting...

So the woman I speak to on the phone, tells me that they cannot release the schematic to anyone for copyright purposes. This blows my mind, because I just spent 300 dollars with them. Their "lawyers" were the ones who urged them to scale it down to the point where it was illegible, so no one could copy it.

I tell them that never in all my life as a mechanical engineer, have I ever purchased a product and not received a schematic. I was blown away. She was adamant that it was strictly for copyright purposes. They said they were very concerned about things getting sent to china and cloned.

At this point, I was annoyed, but having been in the situation, I understand that a small company has to do what it can.

Then it got really interesting...

She told me that the company does give out the schematic, but only if I pay 20 dollars.

This is what made me REALLY MAD.

So they've already got 300 of my dollars, and now they want to CHARGE me to give me the information I need to use it?

It's not about protecting themselves at all! If this was my MO, I could call up and ask for the schematic, having never bought a harness, pay 20 dollars and send it to china to get cloned. Yet here I am, having already spent 300 dollars with them, have an actual part IN HAND that I could send out to get cloned, and the have the audacity to ask me for 20 dollars (plus shipping) more for the rest of the instructions? They said that "it costs money to print, and we don't send anything electronically".


F THEM. I will never, ever buy something from them again, and I hope you don't either.
I don't know what your problem is but i have installed a few of their harnesses and never had any problems. Everything you need to know is in the instruction manual that comes with the kit, you don't need the schematic to install the harness. My wife can even install them without any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
Shawn2424 said:
I don't know what your problem is but i have installed a few of their harnesses and never had any problems. Everything you need to know is in the instruction manual that comes with the kit, you don't need the schematic to install the harness. My wife can even install them without any problems.
Shawn - Your response seems a bit harsh for your first post.

I have installed theses kits without any problems also. Granted they were in simple carburetor street rods - not EFI. This maybe the catch.
 

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
Joined
·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think the build is a bit more involved then a street rod:

 

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
Joined
·
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its a local guys car. bmw e30 with an rb26dett, tons of aftermarket parts thrown at it, and hes an engineer for a living so he designs anything he cant buy.
 

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Shawn2424 -- are you in any way associated or affiliated with Kwik Wire? Sorry to have to ask, and I am hoping that you aren't, but this is your first post, this thread is on the front page of Google for searches for "Kwik Wire", and your IP address is geolocating to about an hour away from Kwik Wire's location in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. Thanks.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top