Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you hit a large dog (about 95 lbs) would you stop to see if it's ok or would you keep driving like the spineless coward that so many people are? This happened to my dads dog when he ran out in front of a car. It wasn't the drivers fault that he hit the dog so why should he keep going? The car was a small Honda Civic and I hope he had substantial damage done to the front of his car so he can think about it every time he walks out and sees his car. Why are people so low? Would this not be considered hit and run, even if it is "just a dog"?

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I'd stop. I'd definatly want to see if I could help it or find the owner. I'd stop if all I could do was to tell the dog I was sorry for hitting it.

Mikey.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would stop but not go near the dog, my brothers dog (gentle golden lab) got hit and when my brother went to him it attacked him cutting some major blood vessels requiring many stitches in the face.

He called me while on his way to the ER asking me to do what I could for his dog that was still in the ditch. I went with my gun and a blanket expecting the worse but I was able to throw the blanket over the dog and get him to the vet where his hip and legs were re-set.

My brother and the dog recovered fine but we learned the hard way never approach a wounded shocked animal no matter how well you know it.
It's still an animal acting on instinct.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
There's no reason not to stop. It could be a road hazard (at the very least). Obviously its not pleasant, and its not really anybody's fault (in most cases). Sometimes you dont have a choice about the situations you get into and you have to stop what you're doing and just deal with it. I know if it were my dog I'd want somebody to give me a heads-up on what had happened. I'd have a good amount of respect for somebody who had the balls to come up to my house and tell me that he'd killed my pet. I guess some folks just dont have balls.

K

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
A good question, though I am not so sure about it being a moral issue. I have been on both ends of this issue more than once and I felt very bad in both. Several years ago, my pet and very good hunting dog, a Brittiany was a victim of hit and run. I looked for him for 4 days, walking many miles and calling for him. On the 5th day, an acquaintance found him about 100 yards off the road in a creek bank where he had drug himself to get water. He was still alive with a severed spinal cord and hips and legs smashed beyond repair. A quick to the vet rendered the bad news and he was put to sleep just before his bladder ruptured because he could not eliminate his wastes with the paralysis from the severed spinal cord. He would have been spared days of pain and suffering had the driver stopped and sought assistance or at least notified me from the info on his collar. The other case involved me and my 36 coupe. A Giant Perreneese (big white sheep dog) ran in front of me from the left and his head was impacted by my right front fender as I was slowing through about 20 mph. I stopped and backed up, expecting to see a dead dog beside the road but it was not there. I got out and saw the dog going full tilt to a house at the end of a lane. I then continued on my trip, feeling very bad for the dog. Later, I stopped for fuel and casually looked at the front of my car to discover a dent in the right front fender. It looked as though it had been hit by a lead basketball. Now the sadness turned to madness. I was ready to go back to the owner to yell about letting his big dog run loose and causing damage to my car. Talk about mixed emotions!!!

Trees

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,324 Posts
I'll tell you how I see it, it is an animal, not a human. I love animals, but me, may family and my well being to earn a living are more important than an animal. I am not going to endanger myself pulling over on a shoulder of the road with cars passing close by, approching a damaged scared dog that could bite me, I am just not going to do it.

It is like what I have preached to my family members for years about a major cause of serious accidents, swerving to avoid a minor accident only to have a much more severe one. I couldn't count how many customers cars I have repaired over the years where the person swerved to avoid a dog or cat only to hit a parked car or curb or something like that. My advice, RUN OVER THE ANIMAL. Don't EVER try more than a slight turn of the wheel to avoid an animal. YOU and your family are WAY more important.

Blazin, I know how you feel, it has happened to me. But I didn't think for a second that the driver was "low", I felt BAD because I could have caused HIM injury. THAT is much more important.

Brian

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
No reason not to stop for a dog or cat...........But what about a wild animal? I think twice about that. Hit a squirrel the other day......stopped, more to make sure it was dead and not suffering....It was dead. I wouldn't want to have to beat it to death.

·
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MARTINSR said:
I'll tell you how I see it, it is an animal, not a human. I love animals, but me, may family and my well being to earn a living are more important than an animal. I am not going to endanger myself pulling over on a shoulder of the road with cars passing close by, approching a damaged scared dog that could bite me, I am just not going to do it.
It would be one thing to keep going if it were on a busy road but it was 11:00 at night and he was the ONLY car on a 4 lane road. Like I said, it's not the drivers fault. I'm not saying they should approach the dog at all, even though he was almost dead anyway. Maybe there's an owner nearby looking for their dog? I agree with a few of the others, I'd like to know what happened. At least somebody saying "Hey, I think that might be your dog I just hit"

·
16,324 Posts
Believe me, I understand. I had a beloved dog hit by a motorcycle. I was way more concerned with the guy on the bike and thankful he didn't go down. And, no he didn't stop. It cost me about $800.00 in vet bills by the way.

I just think about all the many, many reasons why I think a person wouldn't stop. 11:00 at night, I don't want my wife stopping and knocking on doors looking for an owner.

I think of my late parents, when they were still driving, they were frail, I wouldn't have wanted them to get out or hang around. Sure, that is probably not the case, it was possibly someone who just didn't care enough to stop. But there sure as heck are a number of reasons why they wouldn't where I can't blame them.

Listen, don't be mad at them, forgive them. You lost your dog, you want to be mad at someone to give a "reason" why your dog died. Sort of a blame, even if you don't actually blame them, just being mad is enough.

It wasn't their fault most likely, lets say there was a reason they didn't stop, forgive them and remember the good times with your dog.

Brian

·
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian, that was well said. It's just hard to believe that he wasn't even 4 years old. You couldn't ask for a nicer dog around people and other animals. He was big, aloof and loved people.

·
30 Ford 5 Window
61 Posts
I have no clue how anyone could hit anything and NOT stop...never mind a NINETY-FIVE POUND DOG!!!! That's heavier then my 8 year old son!

There is no possible way they can say they didn't know it happened.

My question is......: Did whoever did the hitting even see what they hit or run over? That being said, if they didn't.... how do they know it wasn't a child chasing a ball or something?

I myself was brought up better then that... and trying to instill the same values in our kids.

Sorry for your dad and his dog..... Karma is a strong thing, whoever hit it, will get it back tens times worse. Firm believer.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
I have mixed emotions on this one. Growing up in the country, I had a few dogs killed by cars, after the first dog was killed, my Dad told me if I didn't keep them out of the road, sooner or later they would be hit. Responsibility for the dogs' life was mine. make sense?
Once I was behind a car that ran over a dog, I stopped, he didn't. Out in the country again, I walked about 100 yards up the driveway to the house, about 7 pm and dusk, the guy answered the door with a shotgun in his hand, pointed at you-know-who! The last time I stopped. I'm with Martin on a few things, they are animals, I swerved to miss a white cat one night, didn't see the black cat chasing the white cat, one dead black cat. Squirrels need to be run over, filthy little destructive rodents. I will call the wife if I see a hurt animal on the road, she has a direct line to SPCA. Dan

·
16,324 Posts
Yep, I was taught better myself, to respect me and my family first. Like I said, WE DON'T KNOW WHO DID IT!!!! How in the world can anyone say they were wrong??????

Here it is, your 16 year old daughter. She is driving home from the school dance in an area she doesn't know after dropping her friend off. Do you want her to stop and start knocking on doors at 11:00 at night or something?
Maybe your little girl should get out and pick the dog up and put him in the back of her Honda to take it to the vet?

That dog looks like a sweetheart. He looks like a dog you get down on the floor and hug him like a baby. But THE PERSON WHO HIT HIM DIDN'T KNOW THAT!! It was BIG DOG, a big dog that can rip your face off. Do they get out and pick it up and run off for the nearest farm house like a friggin Lassie show?

I'm sorry, if it were my dog I would forgive the person who hit it, they made a choice for a reason, WE DON'T KNOW them and we can't judge them!

Brian

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I like animals so I would stop to see if it was still alive. And not to be a dick but I would also be stopping to find out who was letting their dog run loose and as a result of their negligence caused damage to my car.

·
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dinger said:
Responsibility for the dogs' life was mine. make sense?
I agree, my dad forgot to lock the gate and he snuck out. When they went looking for him he never came and when my dad fired up the truck he came running back across the street. That's why I had said it wasn't the drivers fault. I don't necessarily think they have to go knocking door to door looking for the owner but the owner might be out looking for him already. They couldn't find him right away because it was dark. There was a Christmas tree lot right across the street, ours. What would have been the harm in pulling in there and saying "Hey, do you know of anybody looking for a dog?" or something to that effect...

Oh well, nothing can be done now.

·
30 Ford 5 Window
61 Posts
Nope, don't hug the maimed animal...you're correct

Nope, you don't have to go door to door day or night and chance retaliation by owner

BUT....... you need to take responsibility! Near the whole population of the Earth seems to carry cell phones nowadays.... take a second out of your ever so rushing life and "do the right thing"... sit there, call the police and wait for them to come..... You say you are one of the last remaining souls on earth without a cell phone????? Then drive TO A PHONE... or a police station and report what happened ASAP!

16 year old daughter 100 year old grandmother... makes no difference, if it's an accident they hit it, then there shouldn't be a problem with reporting it so whoever owns that loved pet can get it some help as soon as possible.

On the other hand I also 100% agree..... unless it's a human being, I'm not putting myself , my family or anyone else for that matter in danger by doing some dumb a%# Dukes of Hazard maneuver trying to avoid hitting it. Don't get me wrong, I'll do my best, but I sure ain't flipping my vehicle, hitting some one head-on or slamming on my brakes to get rear-ended....... NOR would I expect any different for one of my pets from someone else.

I have an 8 year old chocolate lab that wears no collar and roams our yard at will without supervision. The first 6-8 months when she was a puppy she was never left unattended outside. Whenever she got further then we wanted in the yard, I'd just yell in a stern voice for her to come back... through time that slowly turned into just a loud grunt "hey"... not long she knew her limits. Even today she will go out and walk just the perimeter of our yard sniffing... even when she's in full chase of a chipmunk or squirrel, she'll still stop quickly when she hits the edge of her yard, by herself without commands from anyone. I never have hit her and never have used shocking devices or wireless fences etc... ONLY some well spent time as a loving responsible pet owner when she was a puppy. I consider myself lucky she was so easy to train, surely because we got her as a puppy, but I've had older dogs in the past that were just as easy.

Even so I agree the responsibility lies on the pet owner to keep it out of the road.... but circumstances arise when that's out of owners control....
Same as I agree the responsibility of the driver is to keep vehicle at a controllable speed and be aware of what is and CAN be happening.... again...BUT, if circumstances arise differently, it's then the drivers sole responsibility to follow up on his/her accident and "do the right thing"..... and that in no way shape or form under ANY circumstance means just driving off and never taking responsibility for their actions.

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
Hmmm! I had a cat run out and I went to the other side of the road slowed down but the dum cat ran right under my truck I hit the brakes loud bang looked back cat was flipping all over the place, then took of running. What do you do. I can see it being anyone fault if the animal ran out in front of your ride and you did everything you could do to miss it. A call to the police maybe I don't think I would go door to door looking for the owner if there was one. If you let your pets run wild then shame on you for not taking care of them.
The wife was walking her brother dog with out his leash and he got hit by one of the people down the street. Now she was up set but she had to tell her brother the bad news.

Craig

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
i was goin about 30, 35 tops thru a resi hood. all of a sudden this dog runs right in front of me. i hit the brakes as hard as i could. i heard the dog rolling in front of the car. i did not run over it. it got up quickly and ran away like nothing happened. i was like wow, can't believe it's okay. and i drove off. the family in the front yard saw the whole thing. i didn't care. i thought the dog was fine. so a half hour later they all come over to where i am and give me a bunch of crap for speeding and not stopping. they said their dog died!!!!

oh well. for one there is a leach law there too, but jeez! i thought the dog was fine!... gonna be pretty sore the next day, but i was pretty shocked the dog died. i did feel bad about it later and always wish i woulda bought them a new dog, but after they screamed at me i was yelling there was that leach law so i didnt think they would want to see my face again. i've hit cats and never even slowed down. but i thought that was a cool dog, i can still picture him running out in front of me looking backwards with his tongue hanging out oblivious to my car

1 - 20 of 48 Posts