Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vehicle... 1969 Chevy C10 SWB new model (1994) bed, converted to disk in front (5 lug all around)... Well built 12 bolt with Eaton locker/Richmond 4.65 gears...

The BBC... 427 cui (.030 over) has 2 bolt block very well preped with ARP studs, steel crank, fluid dampner, truck rods (bushed for full floating pins) ARP bolts in the rods, L88/ZL1 closed chamber 12.5 to 1 pistons (TRW forged)... 7 quart kick out Moroso pan with HP/HV oil pump... Performer RPM cam .573/.562 lift with 1.7 rockers and matching lifters... CP pushrods (3/8ths chrome moly) CP guide plates, Trickflow rocker studs, Cat 1.8 ratio stainless roller rockers w/locks... GM large oval port 781 casting heads with 2.19/1.88 stainles valves, Comp springs, Titainium retainers, Chrome moly 10 degree locks... Heads were bowl cut for the larger valves and gasket matched only... Performer RPM intake and will use a custom serpentine setup with March underdrive pulleys... topped off with a Barry Grant speed demon 750 (mechanical)... Also choice of either a 700R4 (well built and for racing) or a Turbo 400 with manual valve body and very good hard parts...

OR...

2002 Vortec 5.3 (New and complete basicly stock) but has cam changed to the hot cam .525/525 and also may include a 100-150 nitrous kit...? Also will have a 4l60E with LS1 converter behind it...

I have both engines and trans... but cant decided which one to use...? Should it be the old school/old school or old school/high tech...?

Opinions...?

thanks....... :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
put that 427 in there damn it

ol school carbuerated power for the ol school car

although a 5.3 vortec in it with Nitrous would be sick... i still think the older motor would be better suited for a 69...

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
While having some new technology would be cool . . . a 427 would be very cool to have. I dont see them very often and just the name in itself sounds intimidating. I personally would go with the 427. If you are going for power, there is no replacement for displacement (as is said often).

·
Big cubic inches small Chevy!
320 Posts
My opinion

My opinion is:

I will go with the BBC, I prefered Old school carbureted engine, less problems, more easy to play with,to modified...and less expensive.More money in your pocket for all the power you can reach!.

I hate full injection engine, too complicated, and too expensive.

That's my view

Happy Holiday!

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
The only reason I could see that you wouldent use the big block is if the truck is going to be used on the street a lot. 12.5:1 wont run on pump gas. The 427 would be also faster in a drag truck. As far as nitrous goes, you could put a nitrous kit on either engine. As far as the tranny goes, I would say that If you go with the 427, go with the turbo 400. If you have 12.5:1 compresssion, you will probably never use overdrive anyway, plus you will have enough trouble hooking it up without having to deal with a 3.06 first gear in the 700R4.

Adam

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies...

The 427 has the open chamber heads which I forgot to mention so the compression is only 10.8 to 1 and yes it will be street driven quite often... But of course the track is close so weekends belong to this truck...

Please keep the opinions coming it really helps...

427...4 votes

5.3 Vortec...0 votes

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'd love to chime in and vote for the vortec just to make things less lopsided...but 427's kick posterior.

I'd vote for the turbo 400 as well, as I have heard that it will hold up better in the long term than the 700r4 if you are sticking the same amount of money into building it up.

Also, chances are you will find the 427 setup a bit more streetable then the 'hot cam' 5.3, since the 427 will make you some nice low-end torque for lugging that truck around, where as with the 5.3 you'll likely have to rev it up higher, resulting in more tire-spin.

I remember trying to take off in traffic with my Ford truck, at stoplights there was no in between snubbing and burning out, because the lightest touch of the gas sent the revs soaring, while the motor didn't make enough torque to take off without giving it some gas (it was stick, of course, but the same idea applies to autos. If you just let up on the brake, the car doesn't move, you hit the gas and the back tires spin out because the motor revs way up before the torque converter catches up.)

It is my personal theory that all big vehicles like trucks and large cars should have big blocks, and only small vehicles like Chevettes and go-carts (same thing?) and motorcycles should have small blocks. It's a simple power to weight ratio thing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just one more thought to consider...you mentioned resorting to nitrous if you go with the Vortec small block. I'd research carefully how much nitrous the stock Vortec pistons will handle. I don't know the answer to that one off the top of my head, but I suspect the stock Vortec pistons are hypereutectic rather than forged. They may take a 150 horse shot, but I couldn't guaratee it.

By the way, your big block heads should have far better exhaust flow (which is more critical than intake flow on a nitrous set-up) than the Vortec small block heads, even though stock Vortec heads are decent for a small block.

More factors in favor of the BBC. :thumbup:

·
Registered
319 Posts
427 will be much easier to swap than the 5.3. Will also be a lot more fun on the street. Use the 400 or possibly swap in a 4l80 to get your overdrive.

·
Too many hobbies!
239 Posts
Mixed messages

IF your 700r4 is built right, I'd go with the 427/700r4, if you are going to run 4.56's. I agree that the TH400 is probably as close to bulletproof as it gets, but it'd be hell to drive on the highway, without the O/D.

If my calculations are correct, with a TH400, 4.56 gears, and 28" tires (235-75-r15, 255-70r15, or similar), you would be running over 3800 rpm at 70 mph, not adjusting for the loss through the torque convertor.

With the 700, you'd come in a little over 2900.

Here's the calculator I used to figure it.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/rpmmph.html

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well now its...

BBC 427...10

5.3 Vortec...2

Again many thanks to those that have replied and offered very good points on both setups and combinations... I am also leaning heavy on the BBC 427 side as this is what I built it for in the first place but got the 5.3 Vortec for an extremly good price with computer...

tornado-tech also had a good idea with the 4L80E to get the best of both worlds... It just so happens I have a 4L80E that needs rebuilt (all good hard parts) so I may consider doing that in the future...? (BBC 427 & 4L80E with stand alone computer)

I will post pic`s of both engines later tonight also just to add a little spice... ;)

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
In this instance yes, technology can makeup some power for the 5.3. However if you were to compare apples to apples technology wise (meaning same technology on both the 5.3 and 427) displacement would make more power every time. By going with the 427 he is starting with a much larger foundation, and thus, more potential for power.

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
You have received some great suggestions but none seem to have solved your dilemma.

I have the solution!

Put the small block modern engine in your vehicle and enjoy it! Then give me a call as to when and where to pick up the 427. Problem solved and I go away with a BIG smile on my face! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Seriously; go with the 427! You won't be disappointed. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
hell yeah! 427 Chev all the way. show that thing some real umpf. and anyways it's such an ol' truck you gotta put something typical of an old machine anyways.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Frisco... :) That could be an option but might be a bit costly on your end... ;)

Here are the pic`s... (made them small on purpose)

Once more thanks for the really good opinions...

Bumpstick

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Im a firm believer in the gen 3 engines but last night i got a ride in a 565rwhp big block car and going sideways at 50 was just unreal. If i was gonna do a gen 3 it would have to be the 6.0. if you go to ls1tech parish8 has a 6.0 wiht rod bolts and head studs A cam and a turbo and bigger injectors, Nothing more. He is putting down 630rwhp through a 4l80(similar drag as a 400) and a Transfer case on stock internals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts