Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
you can never know to much
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I'v searched on the web, and used the search feature on this site and I can't seem to find a good answer.

I have recently (3 days ago) started DA sanding on my truck, I have currently almost got the front fenders done, and have about 7 hours of work into it.

Now, for my question, I'm working using a cheapo particle mask we got for when we mow, and doubling them up. Is this sufficient? I can't help but feel like it's not working, but my parents swear up and down it's fine and that alot of people sand with no mask. ( :nono: ) the masks look like this (without the ribbing in the front)

I am working in a 2 car garage, with both doors open.

Thanks in advance for any help... :thumbup:

·
68firebird
118 Posts
You only get one set of lungs. I'm not sure what your budget is but a nice 3M brand respirator runs 30 to 40 dollars and you can use it when you paint also. Mine has disposable filters. I personally don't like the disposable ones you have pictured because they don't seal around my face and I'm not certain at what they allow to pass through.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When you pull the mask off after sanding and look in the mirror and see the dust collected all around your nose and mouth that should give you a pretty good indication of their effectiveness. Home Depot in the paint department there are several respirators to choose from. Like Mech said you only get one set don't ruin them so early in life. The guys that don't use them are the ones that end up with some funky kind of cancer later on in life, Not worth the $40 dollar risk. I have had only two respirators in the 25 years I have been working. The filters are changeable but the mask lasts a long time.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alrighty guys, appreciate the responses. I don't guess I've really been in it enough to hurt anything as of right now, but I don't think I'm gonna do it anymore. Wow, I feel stupid. In the back of my mind the whole time I was thinking "these can't be working that well" but went ahead anyway cause it's all I had.

I was planning on buying a mask for painting and this, but I couldn't talk my parents into buying one they just said "you don't need it for what your doing, you can get one when you start painting it" and I didn't have the cash to just go ahead and buy it.

Now, I gotta try to convince them I need it... easier said than done. :rolleyes:

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Raptor22 said:
I think a mask is a good idea, as the second poster pointed out, you only have one set of lungs. :)
Yeah, I'm certainly gonna go get a mask, I have to have one anyway (there is NO WAY I'm gonna paint without one) Looks like my project may be on hold for a while though, until I can get one. Oh well, give me time to try and get it running again! :thumbup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
A dust mask is sufficiant if it seals on your face well. If you are outside of course its a lot better. You can take some petroleum jelly and cake it on the sealing surface. I have done this in a jam, but you best bet is a charcoal resporator. Dont even think of painting without one. Run a search on isocyanates, and read up.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really do appreciate the replys, and took them into consideration, but my parents didn't. and now the projects on hold.

to keep it short, basically I told them I wasnt gonna do anymore sanding till I got a better mask, and dad started complaining the other ones are to expensive. I told him I had to have one anyway to paint, and it's well worth whatever it costs, he told me he wasn't paiting it, and when I told him I was going to, he laughed at me and rolled his eyes. After a short argument, I some choice words, I tossed everything in the garage and said forget it. :boxing:

I hate that my parents don't support my hobbie, I mean it's not like I'm out getting drunk, partying, and sneaking out at night. :rolleyes:

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
milo said:
good, they gave you the best advice...

Now, think about learning DPR while at your age and with the cars getting thinner and thinner..I wish instead of making dust like you at age 15 there was something like this to be the best at..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYqBxkMJrmo

Disclaimer: milo is not affiliated or represent any DPR company**
I can't get the video to load, but I'll try to watch it later.

is it basically just dent repair, that don't require repainting!? :confused:

·
point on positive
1,680 Posts
Heres a link to a example on one of my personal cars...
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=788&highlight=DPR

The estimate was around $750 the conventional way...

the Dentless repair tech did it on his lunch hour for maybe $100..
I was so happy I tipped him another 50...

Your in a great position to learn how without bad habits yet..

Tell your parents to fund the class for you or say you'll live with them till your 30 ,,, they'll understand and pony up..
Hope to have planted a helpful seed ..

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think that the dent repair is a good skill to learn, and I know what you are saying about bad habits, I am always trying to break my student of them, but I think that he would be better served by the Sun Chaser DVD set, probably less cost but covers a lot more.
http://www.sunchasertools.com/ small dents are covered in the classes as well as the big dents and they don't use any bondo ever. I live in so cal and really want to take Ken's classes but am finding it hard to find the time to get up to Pasadena, I have talked to him several times at the trade shows and he is at the top of his craft.

Country boy, go on Craig's list and sell your old video games or mow some lawns, get those tools you need and don't let unenthusiastic parents discourage you. I am a rock climber and my parents never understood where my passion to climb cliffs came from but it was in me and it helped shape who I am today. They never told me I couldn't do it but were far from encouraging me.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
milo said:
Heres a link to a example on one of my personal cars...
http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread.php?t=788&highlight=DPR

The estimate was around $750 the conventional way...

the Dentless repair tech did it on his lunch hour for maybe $100..
I was so happy I tipped him another 50...

Your in a great position to learn how without bad habits yet..

Tell your parents to fund the class for you or say you'll live with them till your 30 ,,, they'll understand and pony up..
Hope to have planted a helpful seed ..

That is pretty cool, I think I am definitely gonna do some more research on that!

I am trying to get into a autoshop class at the local highschool (it's kinda hard, cause I'm homeschooled) not sure what it covers, but it's a starting point..

Barn Owl said:
I think that the dent repair is a good skill to learn, and I know what you are saying about bad habits, I am always trying to break my student of them, but I think that he would be better served by the Sun Chaser DVD set, probably less cost but covers a lot more.
http://www.sunchasertools.com/ small dents are covered in the classes as well as the big dents and they don't use any bondo ever. I live in so cal and really want to take Ken's classes but am finding it hard to find the time to get up to Pasadena, I have talked to him several times at the trade shows and he is at the top of his craft.

Country boy, go on Craig's list and sell your old video games or mow some lawns, get those tools you need and don't let unenthusiastic parents discourage you. I am a rock climber and my parents never understood where my passion to climb cliffs came from but it was in me and it helped shape who I am today. They never told me I couldn't do it but were far from encouraging me.

While body work probably won't ever be a career for me, it would be nice to know how to do some of it, and save alot of $$$ in the long run...

My parents don't really seem to care either way, and they have never said "you can't work on the truck" but they often discourage me because they tell me that I don't know how to do somthing. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am sure that one of these days you dad will come to you and ask for help fixing one of his cars.
What kind of truck are you working on. It would be nice to see some progress pics since your hanging around here.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
At your age, there is a lot that you do not know how to do and you learn by schooling, observing, reading, and best of all, doing. Removing paint from an old vehicle is a challenge to all of us and I have tried every thing and don't like any of them (except sending to a commercial stripper and that takes too many bucks). The dust mask you are using will be good enough if you take the time to get a decent seal on it. Change it ever couple of hours if you are working continuously. By all means start saving pennies for a good respirator. In the mean time, PM me your address and I will send you an old one of mine with new filters.

Trees

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Barn Owl said:
I am sure that one of these days you dad will come to you and ask for help fixing one of his cars.
What kind of truck are you working on. It would be nice to see some progress pics since your hanging around here.
He isn't exaclty asking for help, but he said if I fix his 72 Monte Carlo I could drive it..

I have a build thread from when I first got the truck, but haven't done anything except this little bit of body work since I quit updating that thread.

Here it is: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/questions-about-my-current-project-142632.html

trees said:
At your age, there is a lot that you do not know how to do and you learn by schooling, observing, reading, and best of all, doing. Removing paint from an old vehicle is a challenge to all of us and I have tried every thing and don't like any of them (except sending to a commercial stripper and that takes too many bucks). The dust mask you are using will be good enough if you take the time to get a decent seal on it. Change it ever couple of hours if you are working continuously. By all means start saving pennies for a good respirator. In the mean time, PM me your address and I will send you an old one of mine with new filters.

Trees
I understand that I don't know alot, and thats one reason I hang around sites like this one, and try to do all that I can. Nobody in my family is really into the car hobby, but my pappaw knows a heck of a lot more about them than me.

Your right about removing paint. I have some paint stripper I'm gonna try to clean the grill up with...

I appreiciate the offer on the mask, but I wouldn't feel right taking it from you, and I can't really buy one yet.

I may not really even need one, cause I'm thinking of trying to get a hold of the local high school, and see if they will paint it. Seems like my best choice as of right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.