Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy some 1999 vortec heads. But they have stock springs. I have a summit cam with 224* duration and .465 lift and 112LSA. Will the stock springs be able to handle that?

Also could I swap some stock replacment springs from ealier heads onto the vortecs if their the right diameter? What is the max diameter spring I can sawp onto the vortecs without grinding?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
If you install Comp Cams 26015 or 26018 Beehive springs with the corresponding Beehive retainers with the GEN 1 SBC valve stem diameter, you can run over 0.530" valvelift with NO machining.
these retainers allow more valve seal to retainer clearance than the stock spring/retainer combo.

peace
Hogg

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
heads

The problem is that the retainers hit the top of the guides on those heads... You might get a spring to work but you will need to check the guides...And never bet that they will always clear .490" lift... I have seen them hit the guides at .450" lift.....

Even tho the kit may correct the problem the clearance still needs checked...

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.