Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently rebuilt a A4LD ford trany out of a 91 ford ranger with a 4l engine, i installed a master kit with clutches, sk shift kit, reman. converter and an external oil coolel. my problem is!!!it wont move in any gear unless ya rev up the engine. i checkes the oil presure in all gear's and it's ok and it doesn't show any leakage from nut. to any foward gear's. i droped the valve body and rechecked every thing and it's cool. i went on line to atraonline.com and i followed all there symtem's for no engagement and there all ok. i'm going to contact my converter builder to c if it's converter related. this is the first tranny i'v built that won't go eather way and sence reving up the engine and it move's does work, my best judgement is the stall of the converter or converter malfuction. has anyone ever ran acrost this??"?? than's sling

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well here's the skinny on my problem, i pulled the tran's out and i noticed i left the scarf cut teflon ring off the end stator support. i put on a new one, reinstalled the tran's and all is ok now. i think the seal ring is needed to fill up the converter. the only oil inside the converter was the 1 quart that i pored into to prelube the lockup plate. so here is one for the guy's at atraonline and atsg to remember for there no bullitins on there website on this problem. i know that it's s. o. p. to replace all seal's,and seal ring's in a tran's. but in this case i just plain messed up and didn't install a ring on the new oil pump that i installed in the trany. good luck to you all and i hope my mistake will be helpfull to future builder's of the A4LD. c-ya sling

·
Registered
576 Posts
a4ld

no the ring will not cause the trouble you stated , the trouble was no oil in converter . that ring if your speaking of the one single ring is the seal lock up oil for converter apply

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the problem was that there was no oil in the converter, butt the new seal ring in the front end of the stator support did fix my problem, tk's sling

1 - 4 of 4 Posts