Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy yall :thumbup: Got a ? about a set of S/R Torquer head's with the 76cc combustion chamber. What i need to know is how much would a .030 mill take the cc's down to, because i'm putt'in in a set of flat's from KB that should be .010 below the deck, and with my .028 GM Performance gasket's i should somewhare between 9.08 with a 75cc chamber, and a 9.17 c/r with a 74cc chamber, because there was .007 shaved off of my head's to clean them up. Just wondering were the c/r would be if i had another .023 milled off along with the 7.0 cc volume of the KB piston's would be. (ThanX)

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,642 Posts
Roughly 5cc per .010 flat milled. With that number decreasing with the amount taken off. About 8cc if it's angle milled.

Don't think you should angle mill those heads much though. The performance isn't there with the time and money invested I think there are better way's to make power outa those heads.

The point of diminishing returns is about .030 on a angle or flat mill without compromising head gasket retention at compression ratio's over 12:1.

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
It's more like .007"/CC flat milled. If you take a total of .030", you will have removed 4ccs, making them 72ccs, if they were indeed a true 76ccs to begin with. It might be a good idea to cc them as they are now, and mill them as needed. Those heads have thicker decks, so they can be milled a fair amount, but anything more than .030" or so can cause head-to-intake misalignment which will necessitate manifold milling, also.

tom

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ThanX for your insite guy's, the reason that they were milled just .007 is because the head's were worped when they were new and it took that much to clean them up, but in anyevent i still wanna take them out to .030. Also i would think with the head's be'ing worped to begin with, the cc's would have to be off a little from chamber to chamber as the head's were worped in the middle problebly from sitting on a shelf to long face down, and would'nt that mean the truness is lost unless you grind out some of the material out of the two end chamber's to cc every thing out to be the same cross the board.With that be'ing sead, some gearhead's i've talked with (ITO) i will problebly never know any differnce if one or two of the chamber's were off just a smigin:thumbup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok kool, Yea it would be nice if knew what i know now about dome piston's, and compression height, deck height, and cc's and such, i would have never bought a set of .125 dome piston's in the first place but you live and you learn and life move's on.:thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts