Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This engine we put in my friends truck.We just built.And after only 3000 miles.It just quit running right.The rockers kept coming out of adjustment.It's been hard to start.Loud banging noises when trying to start.Last time we went to adjust the rockers.The oil looks like chocolate milk shake.And the rockers wont stay adjusted.And its vacuum is too low for this cam(14-15").It sarted out at 20".Im about ready to pull this motor.Any suggestions?This is a 350 9.25:1 sbc with a TH400 trans and stock converter.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Did you say the timing was set at only 2 degrees bTC? If so timing is all wrong. But I think your problem is a head gasket or i maybe a cracked block. Before removing the engine do a leak down test.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not sure where it's leaking.But it is in both heads.Everything except the carburator is new.The carb came off another motor,The heads were just rebuilt at a local machine shop.They are 1968 Camel bump heads,The block came out of an 1980 pickup.That only had 80,000 miles on it.Aside from that everything is new.We just did this motor not too long ago.
My mistake with the timing.It's set 2 degrees advanced.But it does'nt even seem like enough.The motor does'nt rev like it should.It revs too slow,almost like it's struggling.The noise its making when starting.Is a loud mechanical noise.But it does'nt always happen.Just usually when it's warmed up.The starter was just rebuilt.
Also the motor wont stay idling under 1000rpm.Its a small cam only 212/218 [email protected] lift.It's supposed to make 20" of vacuum.Which it did.When it started running bad.It was only pulling 14".Im still at a loss here.
also how do you do a leakdown test?And how do you check valve lift?

·
Registered
29 Posts

You might want to consider checking the rocker arm studs. Ive had the factory pressed in style studs pull out on me before... it made me sick. Im not sure if you're aware of this, but under the pressed in studs is the water jacket... It sounds like maybe thats what is happening, since you say the valves will not stay adjusted and make a mechanical sound....? I don't see any reason, unless you overheated why a head gasket would fail, especially on an engine thats maybe a little warmer than stock.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Hmm... You probably do have too much spring for that cam. I doubt you have a cracked block, you only have coolant in your oil, now if you had oil in your radiator you got serious problems. Once you figure out where the coolant leak is, advance your timing to 10 degrees... 2 degrees is too retarded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.