Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my last header bolt on the passengers side has worked itself loose. during the last installation i forgot to put a lock on it. for the life of me this time around i cant get any tool on there with the amount of room i have. theres no way to tighten it. this is a 73 nova with a 350 and an AC. and yes the AC is staying. i cant tighten it from underneat. they are allen/hex head 7/16'' stage 8 bolts. so im thinking of taking the ac box apart to tighten the bolt. i noticed the box can split down the middle. so im going to take one half off. this should be fine right? what exactly is behind that box? can the box be modified later to save room? i need someone with experience on this. thanks.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Can you cut down a normal wrench or Allen wrench to fit?

I had headers on my '72 w/AC, but mine just had 3/8" or maybe 7/16" hex heads. I had a short (under 4" long) 3/8"x7/16" 12-point box-end wrench that barely fit in that area. I could turn it only one tooth at a time on a couple of them, but it worked for me. Might be worth some frustration to get a used wrench at a pawn shop and hack it up, maybe even heat it up and bend it to suit your needs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
a/c in nova

I had the same problem in a 67 camaro with factory air. The evaporator coil sits real close to the side of the box. I took a small wrench from an ignition set and had to grind the outside on the hex down to fit because of clearance to the header, then attach a wire to to pull on when the wrench was placed in the correct position. Good luck as you kids will probably learn some new words!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.