Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for an engine management package for my new build. Its gonna be a fuel injected sbc 350, with a mild towing rv cam cr will be around 9.25:1. I have an intake from an 86 camaro i am gonna use. I have found two packages that include the computer, harness and software. One is the holley commander 950, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-950-101/
and the other is from accel, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-77010P/. anyone have experience with either and can chime in their opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Honestly, if you're not afraid of the learning curve you can run a stock 86-89 (or 90-94 if you want to tune based on a MAP sensor) TPI computer and get the stuff to burn a chip for it. It would save you roughly 400-500 dollars. It didn't look like either system came with a wideband sensor, which would be a big appeal of an aftermarket system and justify the $1100+ price tag.

I haven't used either of those systems, but have done quite a bit of programming on a 85 TPI Corvette, and my old 66 GMC with an 89 TPI system.

·
Registered
147 Posts
you will need make your own harness but with the mega squirt you can use factory parts from a salvage yard an cut the plugs from them an form your own harness use the injectors from a donor an plugs an map sensor an plug iac an plug an so on ! just be alot soldering i'd also if like save money try get a completer harness from a donor so you have gage wire for the harness it's a complete do it yourselfer system! but about cheapest way to go! i myself not got a system yet but one i'm getting i get to that point my build!

·
Registered
147 Posts
or if up to trying put a bosch injection system thats mechanical no sensors needed but be alot fabbing! an finding an old enough bosch system anymore from a beamer V-8 or 2 VW rabbit bosch systems one to feed each side the motor!

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I already have a harness and stock computer. Maybe i should throw them on ebay and then buy that harness and just solder and crimp all the connectors on. Can i buy the connectors new, or should i hack up the harness i have now?
Did some research and from eficonnector.com: http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/tpi_pigtails.aspx
for injectors, tps, map, iac, cts, and iat would be about $120. Cant think right now what else i am forgetting.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Or you could go here and be cool like me :)

http://www.moates.net/

Honestly I've heard good things about a megasquirt so if thats the path you choose, its a good choice. It was just easier for me to go the custom chip route as I had the sensors, and had always wanted to learn tuning anyways.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I assembled an MS-II this weekend. It took about six hours for me to solder it together. I bought a relay board this time. I'll buy one from now on. It has a clearly labeled terminal block for attaching your harness to. I always make my harnesses but I think you could easily use your factory harness if you cut the ecm connector off. I have four cars on MS-II's. One on an MS-I. The MS-I doesn't do ignition on it's own, has smaller tables and a less powerful processor.. The only other expirience I have is tuning an AEM-EMS plug and play in a supercharged Mustang. The AEM is nice but I didn't have to pay for it. Between the DFI and the Holley, I think the DFI would be the better choice.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
It's actually an adapter you put into the computer, and then a flash chip onto the adapter. It comes with a programmer you plug into your comp via a USB cable, set the parameters, and burn the chip. Then you take othe other cable provided, and the software, and plug it into your car and drive/datalog and make changes as needed.

There is a bit of a learning curve to it all, but it's very rewarding in the end. I don't know if the programming of the Megasquirt or those other systems has been simplified, or if the learning curve is about the same on all of them.

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This all seems rather simple and actually sounds like fun. When i was looking at the $1100+price tag of the other systems i was kinda worried it wouldn't be worth it. I am gonna look over the harness tomorrow and make sure all the connections are good on it and the relays are intact. Its been so long since i looked at it. Thanks for the advice on the system siggy I will let you know if i have any problems and if it turns out good. I have a test stand in my engine shed so hopefully i will have it running this winter. Prolly just run it on one of the 305s i have sitting around just to get used to tuning the computer. Thanks for all the help everyone, this forum is awesome!

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
There are already pre-done tunes you can download as well that work really well as a starting place. They'll at least be good enough to have the engine running and driving, but will probably be less than optimal performance :).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.