Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
******* Professional
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Converting the S10 back to the street since our local 1/4 mile track shut down and sold to a dairy farm this year. Been figuring I will need to replace my converter (which will stall to 4100 on the trans brake) in order to keep the trans from overheating. It's a custom converter from A-1 Converters in Washington State. Just got back from a 30 mile RT test drive with the new exhaust system and license plates, and figured I would calculate % converter slip while cruising at a moderate highway speed.

Tires are MT ET Street R in P275/60R15 (diameter=28.2", circumference=88.6")
Trans is 1:1
Rear gear is 3.73:1
RPM was exactly 2500 at a 55mph steady cruise (speed by GPS)

TCI Converter Slip Calculator gives me a converter slip of 2.277%, which I'm REALLY surprised about. Trans temp (sensor in pan) never got above 180. Am using a cooler mounted ahead of the radiator, but not circulating through the radiator.

I'm wondering if this custom converter from A-1 is going to be OK for my street driving as well. Seems to be VERY efficient. What do you think? What is typical converter slip for old, stock, non-lockup converters? How much slippage during cruise before too much heat tends to be generated?

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
What you are experiencing is what I've been telling guys for years....buy a good custom converter and you won't have a bunch of slip at cruise, even with quite high stall speed rated converters.

You'll be just fine cruising with what you have and no risk of "slip at cruise burning up the trans" like all the magazine idiots and Flakebook morons would have you believe.

·
******* Professional
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you are experiencing is what I've been telling guys for years....buy a good custom converter and you won't have a bunch of slip at cruise, even with quite high stall speed rated converters.

You'll be just fine cruising with what you have and no risk of "slip at cruise burning up the trans" like all the magazine idiots and Flakebook morons would have you believe.
Thanks for confirming!

Les

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
Thanks for confirming!
My set-up is very similar....temp sensor in pan TH-400, big cooler in front of rad, 3800 stall and it never gets over 170° unless I sorta try to keep up with traffic on the Interstate(4.56 gears!) and then it will get up to a whopping 185° after a 1+ hour drive.
It's got over 20,000 street miles on it, and 8 years of weekends at the dragstrip. Solid as a rock.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Did they tear up the actual strip?

I imagine they removed/sold or will be selling everything else. But if they left the ashfault down then I would approach the owner. To see if he would let a group of local friends that understood the rules to run down the old ashfault.
I would propose 2 to 5% back to the owner, as well any trash removed, and a general respect for the property.
Basic mudbog/mudrun rules at someones farm.

You could have a great, safe(ish), local, legal(ish), "street" racing option.

Otherwise lets be honest. There will no doubt be a increase local street racing.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Street Racing is on the rise and it's not going to get any better as local tracks sell or shutdown. I understand that last year was a hard-ass hit on anyone running a business and survival was probably at best a 50/50 shot. Real shame to hear that your dragstrip closed the doors - ours here that had been running since '65 did the same.

·
******* Professional
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did they tear up the actual strip?

I imagine they removed/sold or will be selling everything else. But if they left the ashfault down then I would approach the owner. To see if he would let a group of local friends that understood the rules to run down the old ashfault.
I would propose 2 to 5% back to the owner, as well any trash removed, and a general respect for the property.
Basic mudbog/mudrun rules at someones farm.

You could have a great, safe(ish), local, legal(ish), "street" racing option.

Otherwise lets be honest. There will no doubt be a increase local street racing.
The problem now is the neighbors. Drag strip was grandfathered in, since it was there before the neighbors and could remain a drag strip if it was sold as one. Unfortunately it was not sold that way.

Terry McMillan (Top Fuel) is a local and he tried to buy it several years ago contingent on his being able to put in a road course and pump in enough money to make it into a nice raceway park. Neighbors pitched a fit at meetings, but racers dominated the meetings and county approved it anyway for the road course. Then neighbors got a lawyer and sued the county/tied the sale up in court somehow. Then COVID hit and Indiana shut tracks down for part of the year

Owner was quite old and was tired of waiting to move to Florida. McMillan was certainly tired of waiting too. So to apparently get a sale through it got sold to the dairy farm and now it cant go back because of its location.

·
******* Professional
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Street Racing is on the rise and it's not going to get any better as local tracks sell or shutdown. I understand that last year was a hard-ass hit on anyone running a business and survival was probably at best a 50/50 shot. Real shame to hear that your dragstrip closed the doors - ours here that had been running since '65 did the same.
Thanks! Ours had same owner since the 50's

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
I got lucky I guess in my location, Lower Michigan near I-69 about 15 miles north of state line with Indiana.
I'd raced Osceola, Indiana in the past(1/4 mile), where 2001Blazer4x4 has been running and its a shame they couldn't find a track saving solution.

At nearly the same time, it looked like we lost Milan Dragway(1/4 mile), over between Ann Arbor and Detroit and it is Detroit's last remaining drafgstrip(Sad fact for the so-called "Motor City").....but got lucky there, after the previous owners ran the place into the ground(if you search on that, you'll find a bunch of sour info on that family who ran the place and bad will with the racers) and went into bankruptcy, the court appointed conservator who happed to be a race fan and managed to get the place sold to someone who will re-open and improve the place....so we got a win there, bad owners out and future looks better.

We also got a long closed track back up an running, which seems to be a near miracle in today's world.....Onondaga Dragway, now called Sloan-Onondaga Dragway has finally reopened ofter a 5+ year rebuild and multiple court fights. It was an old airstrip converted to dragstrip in 1961 and then closed in 1978. 1/8 mile now but was 1/4 originally and property is still there to go that long if they want to in the future.
Luck was that the owners of the properly didn't molest it or tear it out, they just parked their farm equipment on it.
Looks like it will be a pretty good place now, and it is the closest to me at just 40 minutes away.
Located midway between Jackson and Bellevue.

So sometimes the tracks do win....but it goes the other way far more often.

For a ong time I was adamant 1/4 mile only, 1/8 mile was for dinks.....I'm changing my tune, especially if the shorter distance will allow more outlaw tracks to spring up....Ohio has a bunch now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.