Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
A guy gave me 2 '64 327's..........so to answer your question it all depends on how badly someone wants it......and what kind of shape its in. If its been bored a couple of times and the steel crank ground and its in need of a rebuild again then its not worth much. Only way to tell is to tear it down. I personally wouldnt give a plug nickle for any engine that I can't at least mic the crank and bores.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid 100 bucks for it because the guy told me it was a 4 bolth 350. 2 years ago and it ast in my yard under a tarp. started tear down tonight and it's in good shape. has been bored 30 over and has forged aluminum pistons. plus i sold the set of bad heads off of it for 75 bucks.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
It's always a good idea to run the numbers on those early small journal 327's. Who knows, you might have something a 'Vette restorer is looking for.

Condition is everything. If the block will clean up @ .030" over, and the crank is std. or 10/10, you should be able to get $150-$200 for the shortblock. Possibly more.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
"because the guy told me it was a 4 bolth 350"..........I rest my case, for what it's worth. Never take a strangers word for it, if the engines out of the car/truck at least pull the pan. If he won't let you then take a walk. He probably didn't know what it was either (maybe??) Anyway $100 bucks - $75 for the heads ain't a bad deal.

Question....you're replacing a "destroked 350", what kind of crank is in it to de-stroke it? Unless its something custom ground then its most likely a large journal 327 crank which makes it a 327.....or 331 w/ a .030 bore.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Yes the crank in the 327 you bought has a sm jrnl steel crank......but what kind of crank is in the de-stroked 350 that you are replacing? It can't be a sm jrnl forged because all 350's have large jrnl cranks.....unless you have bearing spacers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.