Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find somewhere in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area to have my 65' goat acid dipped and primed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have always heard doing the dipping of a whole car is not good. That dip gets in the seams and dosnt come out unless the whole thing is baked to cook it out. In other words the dip seeps out and removes your new paint :eek: Its better and probably cheaper to have it sand blasted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
there is a place in willys tx not sure of the name sorry they charge about 300 bucks but you do the prep work such as removing glass in other words just take them the body only.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have had two cars dipped and primed. I never had a problem with seepage. Just be sure you have enough metal in the car to start with. Not much will come back if rust is running wild in the seams.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The dipping process I have experienced was a three step process: Dip 1 removed all the dirt, grease and paint; Dip 2 removed all rust (acid); Dip 3 Neutralized the acid and applied coating to prevent the new metal from rusting before repainting. I would do it again if there was a process close enough, but EPA has most likely put most of these guys out of business. Redi-Strip was the early pioneers and started in none other than California. I used the one in Oklahome City back in the 70s before EPA started it's cancerous invasion of US industry.

Trees

·
Registered
168 Posts
mael64
There is a place in Ft. Worth south west of I20 and I35. They use non acid dip that does as good a job as the acid dips. The good thing is you don't have to worry about non neutralized acid
seeping out of a crack later and ruining a paint job. I have seen a lot of their work, they do a nice job. It removes everything includeing rust and leaves a non rusting film. If you are want i will see if i can find a number for them.
Loy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Definitely!

There is a place in Ft. Worth south west of I20 and I35. They use non acid dip that does as good a job as the acid dips. The good thing is you don't have to worry about non neutralized acid
oh definitely! If you can find that dude's number, I'd love to get it. I too am looking for somewhere to dip my car and i'm just north of houston. Dallas area would be fantastic. Please look it up or if any of you other guys has found a place that will do this, by all means, let me know! thanx much!

Nico

·
Registered
1 Posts
Acid Dip in Texas

There was a series of questions about Acid Dipping a car in Texas. I've done three cars so far at Metal Rehab in Arlington, Texas south of I-20. I've never had a seepage problem. After each dip they power wash the body and Gem coat to retard surface rust. They have the process down. Ask for Rick. They'll DP-90 the body for you afterwards for extra $$. They do a good job inside the seams and underneath the drip rails. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Maverick said:
I have always heard doing the dipping of a whole car is not good. That dip gets in the seams and dosnt come out unless the whole thing is baked to cook it out. In other words the dip seeps out and removes your new paint :eek: Its better and probably cheaper to have it sand blasted.
The better places that do it have no issues: They dip in paint-remover and then 4 or 5 rinses afterwards followed by a trip through the electrodeposit-primer vat which is like electro-plating (inside and out) with epoxy-primer. Cost is very high for this service though...

·
HR VIOLATION
159 Posts
I had my chevelle done at "redi-strip" in Indianapolis 5 years ago - same non acid solution cost me about $1200. If you want to go all out, there is a place in Michigan called redi coat that will acid dip it and then e-coat the entire body.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Another alternative to dipping is to have the paint baked off. If you have any automotive manufacturing plants, or plants that paint larger pieces of equipment as to where they get there racks stripped at. We have a large powdercoating facility a few towns over that have large ovens for baking paint off. They do quite a few cars every year. We also had another place the next town south of us that did the same thing but their ovens would only hold something the size of a Jeep or truck bed or cab.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts