Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it seems nobody knows the answers or feels like answering my other questions, but please answer this one.

Does anybody know where I can order a custom adaptor plate to bolt the ford 5.0 t5 tranny to a 350? Or is there a place around southern Ohio that will fabricate this for me?

Or does anybodybody have any plane for this that maybe I could fabricate it myself.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
There may be a few reasons people have not answered your other recent question.... I'm assuming you're talking about this one in particular? http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/couple-last-quick-questions-105746.html

Probably most importantly, the title is vague. Rather than titling it "couple last quick questions" you may want to say something like "T5 Transmission Specs Needed" or "What's the difference between a T5 from a Mustang and a Camaro?". The title of the thread should indicate what's inside.

Next, you're asking a lot of questions for somebody to answer in one thread. You could start off by asking a slightly more general question about the tranny then if somebody responds with what you're looking for you could then ask "what's the difference between the T5 in the Mustang and the one in the Camaro?"

Third, give it a little more time than usual. This is the transmission forum and it is not nearly as heavily visited as the Lounge or the Engine forum. Heck I've posted in the Electrical forum and it's taken a day or two before somebody responds, though Docvette is usually very quick and very informative in that forum. Props to him. :thumbup: Your post is still on the front page of the forum and still relatively visible but, again, you need a more attractive title.

BTW... "Alright" isn't the greatest title for a thread either.

Hope this helps you out in the future...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Thanks, The reason I am In such a hurry about this, There are a couple of tranny's ending very soon and I need some info before purchase. BTW, its has been a day or so since I posted that, But thanks though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
How about this?

RM-6064 - SB Chevy Bellhousing/TKO or T-5 transmission- NEW!

Height = 6.925
Trans. Bore Ø = Universal 4.850/4.910
Engine = Small block Chevy
Trans. = Universal TKO/T5/3550
Clutch Ø = 10.5"
Max Flywheel Ø = 157 tooth
Weight = 19#
Universal shifter fork brackets for diaphragm or cable operated linkage
Has passed all SFI testing
Pivot ball included

Heres the site do a search for t5 on the site and after the ford engines is the one to put the t5 to the chevy engine. Hope this is what your after.

http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
why spend the extra cash for an adapter to bolt a Ford T-5 to a chevy 350 engine?

Since the T-5 was behind a sbc , an adapter seems like an extra expense.

It is your money.

Expecting answers to your multitude of questions in the other thread in a short time may not happen. With a holiday weekend answers may be slow coming.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
454me,

Fantastic site. That bellhousing will bolt a ford t5 to a sbc?

sbchevfreak,

The bolt patters in the bellhousing to tranny on the ford and checy t-5 is different I thought.

Crosly,

I have a ford t-5, the chevy 350 is a crate engine. This is going into a mustang, and the shifter location on the chevy t5 is farther back than the one on the ford I thought. And it havs to bolt up to the 9" ford, so I figured the ford t5 would be the easiest way to go. If not LMK.

Thanks alot guys.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
True, Ford and Chevy T-5s are similar but have significant differences. Input and output shafts, shifter locations, etc. Putting the Ford behind a Chevy is not a big problem. There are adapters readily available, sorry I don't have the name handy, but will look and repost.

Your biggest problem is which T-5 you have?, its design strength? and its wear condition?, and how much power the new engine will produce? Your aggressive driving habits can make short work of the weaker T-5s behind a healthy engine. Lot's of 5.0 Chevys and Fords of the mid 80s shed them vigorously. There are sites available that show the three digit code from the metal tag or the 1/2 inch high ink mark on the side of the trans.. such as -185 or -211. This will give you the details of what you have. IMO you will need at least a -204 or higher.

Making a strong T-5 out of a weaker one, or blown up one is not cost effective since the ultra strength gear sets cost upwards of $ 1000 just for the gear, and then the rebuilding. It might be more cost effective to start with a TKO or better.

Also an aftermarket shifter is mandatory..... or else. I bang shift the Pro 5.0 exclusively. Worth every penny !!!!!

Of course, if you can't hook up the tires well, the trans will last longer. :thumbup:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Save up your money and buy a Tremac TKO 600 you will be money ahead and much happier in the long run!!
The TKO is the nicest 4 speed (5 speed) I have shifted in 43 years !!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right now, I have only a 4 cylender tranny, a 350 crate engine, and a running 88 mustang. I'm droping the 350 in the mustang and trying to decide the easiest way to bolt up a 5 speed behind it. The 5.9 tranny will take the beating from this 350, for now ;)

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Holly-Roller said:
Right now, I have only a 4 cylender tranny, a 350 crate engine, and a running 88 mustang. I'm droping the 350 in the mustang and trying to decide the easiest way to bolt up a 5 speed behind it. The 5.9 tranny will take the beating from this 350, for now ;)

The 88 Mustang GT 5.0 T-5 is only rated 265 lb/ft. There is a 3 digit code on the end of the metal tag, lilke - 191, etc., and often an inked stamped 3 digit code 1/2 inch high on the side of the tranny. Use this code to find what rating transmission you actually have. Maybe you'll be lucky and someone has put in a -204 or higher number box.

The 4 cly trans will blow quickly.

What's a 5.9 tranny? Do you mean 5.0..... if sooooo, see above.

If you are going to use the 5.0 T-5 be sure to use synthetic ATF and an aftermarket shifter. I love the Pro 5.0. You have to give the T-5 a fighting chance, but it WILL NOT LAST VERY LONG on a 350. :nono:

I might not be Ronnie Sox but I power shift the T-5 and T-45 full throttle OFTEN.

(Ronnie Sox, ancient history from the 60s-70s is the faster shifter in the world) :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.