Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am setting up a 38 Chevy with Mustang II suspension. I picked up a 1984 T-bird power rack to put on it and the tie rod ends seem too long. Anyone do this conversion? I'm sure its common. I know I'll need to elongate one of the mounting holes, but which one...drivers side or pass side? Any input would be great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
The wheel base of the T-Bird is wider than the MII so the steering gear is wider. Even if you are able to bolt it on, it will always be susceptible to bump steer since the pivots on the tie rods are not in line with the pivots on the lower A-arms. I wouldn't use it if it wer my car.

Why not just us an MII power rack?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A Mustang II rack would have been better and easier, but I had the T-bird one and I heard that these were compatible with a liitle work. i.e. changing the tie rods or using mustang II tie rods on it. I was trying to find out if anyone else had done this swap. Thanks for the kick back Willys, you've always been there to help...appreciate it!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The T Bird inner tie rid ends are in the same location as the Mustang II, so that is not a problem. The same rack was used on mustang 79 to 89, which has the same track as a Mustang II. you can screw the tie rod ends further onto the tie rod, or just use Mustang II outer tie rod ends, and the width comes out right. You have to slot the right mounting hole to make it fit. Every thing else bolts right up, including the steering shaft. I have done several of these conversions. It's all I will use on new installs now.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
There you go! As long as the knees of the two are in the same location should work fine. If the 'Bird main rack were a lot wider, it would bump steer like crazy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I knew someone had done this before. I am taking pictures as I go and eventually I'll get a project journal together. Then others can learn from my research and frequent harassment of you guys on the board. Thansk again for your help!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
:D And just as another stupid tidbit, if you use a rack out of an '87-88 Turbo Coupe... They are fast ratio, 2.5 turns stop to stop. Only draw back are these rod ends are even longer,(outers) about 1" or so, and the turning radius is slightly diminished as well.:welcome:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, I went and bought some "outer" tie rod ends from a 76 mustang and they worked perfect. Now I just need to elongate the pass side bolt hole on the crossmember, but for now it steers, yippee!!

I think the next problem I'll run into are the lines. But that shouldn't be too difficult as I'm sure they sell aftermarket flexi lines I can use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
'84 - '88 T-bird power steering hoses

Any luck with the lines? I'm trying to convert my old Ford pickup to power steering and went with Classic Performance Products suggestion that I should buy their '84 - '88 TBird rack instead of their MII rack. They tell me the port specs for the pressure side are 9/16-18 o-ring and the return side is 5/8-18 o-ring. Other than buying OEM hoses, I can find nobody who sells adapters for these sizes. I tried Russell, Aeroquip, Gates and Earl's. Looks like everyone sells the MII sizes which they say are 1/2-20 inv flare and 5/8-18 inv flare.

Do tell if you figure out your lines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, please let us know. After completion of the air-suspension, the conversion to power steering is next. I can get a reman tbird rack for $76. I'm going with Vintage Air's Frontrunner setup and the power steering pump they supply. Will this combo work, or is there another pump that works better with the power rack?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts