Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Ideas

I will cut right to the chase. I have a 71 chevelle dash pad. It was all cracked and banged up pretty good, I fiber glassed the whole dash pad. I have yet to sand it down and do my thing to it and was wondering how I could put some texture onto the pad. If I just sand and paint it will be smooth and will look bad resting on a dash with some texture on it. I don't want the pad to be smooth like glass. I was thinking of putting a thin layer of bondo over the fiberglass and rolling it with a paint roller to try and get that fabric look to it(like it did before I covered it in fiberglass). Any ideas to help me make my dash pad match the texture of my actual dash. Thanks any ideas would help, I want

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
I'm going to move this to Body-Exterior, you'll get better answers there. It would help to change the title of your thread to adding texture or something like that. You're not going to get much interest in a thread titled "Any ideas".

Dan

·
Registered
369 Posts
71haulnazz said:
I will cut right to the chase. I have a 71 chevelle dash pad. It was all cracked and banged up pretty good, I fiber glassed the whole dash pad. I have yet to sand it down and do my thing to it and was wondering how I could put some texture onto the pad. If I just sand and paint it will be smooth and will look bad resting on a dash with some texture on it. I don't want the pad to be smooth like glass. I was thinking of putting a thin layer of bondo over the fiberglass and rolling it with a paint roller to try and get that fabric look to it(like it did before I covered it in fiberglass). Any ideas to help me make my dash pad match the texture of my actual dash. Thanks any ideas would help, I want
I would use straight resin and then add cabosil or some other type of thickener. This will give you a lot more flexibility than bondo. You will have to do a couple of test runs to get the right thickness and then the right texture.

If you post a couple of pics of the texture you want to copy we might be able to give some ideas of what tool to use. There are other things you can add to resin to give texture like walnut shells, sugar, salt, sand or powder that is made especially to give non-slip surface.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
amanderson said:
I sprayed my Jeep dash with rattle can bed liner,then painted over it with interior paint. It turned out real nice. It has the texture and look of a dash out of a 70s model Chevy pick-up.

Sounds like a winner of an idea there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.