Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a JP performance gear set part #5991. it is adjustable from -8degrees to +8 degrees at two degree increments.i have it set at zero.my question is what would the best setting be for my engine.will changing it make it faster.

its a 1972 454cu truck motor with 781 heads.solid cam 594int 592ex. 850 demon with air gap,msd ignition,16derees initial and 37total timing and headers.3000stall.E.T is 12.3 in a 3650lbs truck shift a 6000rpm.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Retarding the cam timing gives it more top end at the expense of bottom end. Advancing the cam gives it more bottom end at the expense of top end.
Some cam companies advance the cam timing when they grind the cam so no more advancement is needed depending on rather or not they added it in. If you feel you need more bottom end advance the cam, if you feel you need more top end retard it. But you`ll likely find it runs best straight up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.