Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such? I want to have my m/c battery charge a little higher, so that it powers the MSD box properly.

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
[Voltage regulators for generators are adjustable >I have never had the cover of one for and alternator My 1922 Model T speedster has a 3 brush generator and a cut out relay. It is adjustable by moving the 3 rd brush location in the generator. another option might be changin your pullies. In the 50's A high reving engine could explode the generator windings.
Is there such? I want to have my m/c battery charge a little higher, so that it powers the MSD box properly.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
From MSD "The Ignition will deliver full voltage with a supply of 9 - 18 volts."
Anyway, depending on your regulator if its ground is through a wire and not from being bolted on, you can add a low ohm resistor in the ground line. It would be hit and miss but I'd start at about 3.3 ohms, 1/2 watt or maybe 1 watt would be enough. The higher the resistance, the higher the output voltage. That is the ground wire from the actual regulator to ground. Not the alternator ground.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out that I don't need the regulator. I didn't ground the HEI module. Once I did, the bike turned on like it should.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Turns out that I don't need the regulator. I didn't ground the HEI module. Once I did, the bike turned on like it should.
Oh a bike! I was thinking you had a race car that only had a m/c battery to run and an external one to start for weight savings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts