Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased new bumpers and the rear one is stamped wrong. Its about a 1/2 inch wider on one side. I did call the company but they haven't responded. Has this happened to anyone else or do I just have bad luck? The bumper was for my 1956 Chevy pickup.

·
More for Less Racer
20,950 Posts
Have you measured from the mounting bolt holes out to the bumper tips on each side to verify this?? Usually the problem is bent bumper brackets or brackets swapped from left side to right side, tweaked frame rails, or the box isn't squarely mounted on the frame.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
This is why reproduction parts are the ABSOLUTE, LAST resort for me. I will do ANYTHING before I use aftermarket parts.

As a good friend of mine said as he pulled a repro part out of a box that just came in the mail...

"If they wanted to be honest, instead of Exactly as original in the catalog they would say Similar to original, can be used if nothing else is available."

I think that is pretty profound, "similar" to original" is about all you can expect from repro parts. Yes, there are a few like Bob Drake stuff that is pretty remarkable. But I haven't looked at their stuff close in years, it is probably Chinese crap these days too. But back in the seventies and eighties he had stuff that was BETTER than original.

These days, all I see is junk.

If your bumper isn't the same, you have two options, one get a hold of the company and see if they have better, I doubt they do. Second, get your money back and have an original bumper repaired and plated. There are companies that do this all over. We have one that comes to our shop with one phone call to pick up a bent bumper and bring it back in a few days looking like new.

Brian

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian,

I called them again and they said they will check it first before sending it out. You are dead on about some of the repo stuff available. Almost all of it is now made in China. My original bumper had a receiver hitch welded into the center of it. With some work it could be saved.

Kurt

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
RODDER18 said:
Brian,

I called them again and they said they will check it first before sending it out. You are dead on about some of the repo stuff available. Almost all of it is now made in China. My original bumper had a receiver hitch welded into the center of it. With some work it could be saved.

Kurt
Those bumpers aren't hard to find. Get a better one and have it "reconditioned".

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.